Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Apply for job when will be going on maternity leave?

(12 Posts)
SlB09 Tue 09-May-17 22:17:24

Honest advice needed!
There is the perfect job with part time hours to suit which would be a natural step promotion and rarely advertised part time - issue is I would be going on maternity leave in august or before, my thoughts are
- guilt if I was offered (which talking to employer have a good chance) re mat leave for employer and potential colleagues
- 1st baby, do I want/right time to move when where I work is incredibly supportive and flexible, Ive just outgrown the role
- how,hard it would be going back after mat leave to a new team, role etc

Help!! I think the reason Im torn is because,these posts part time are like rocking horse poo and I have FOMO??

Walkacrossthesand Wed 10-May-17 09:01:23

Is it a promotion within the company where you already work? If so, it's simpler as you'd be taking maty leave anyway, just from a different role.

I do struggle with people who apply for a new job in a new company knowing they're pregnant, reveal the pregnancy after accepting the job, and go on (paid) maty leave soon after starting. It's legal, sure, but not particularly professional in my view.

lovealatte Wed 10-May-17 09:04:36

I got a new job at 7 months pregnant. Obviously they could see I was pregnant although they couldn't actually acknowledge it or ask about it in case they were accused of discrimination. Anyway, I think the view is that they are taking you on hopefully for the long term and so a short spell on leave shouldn't matter.

Popskipiekin Wed 10-May-17 09:08:43

Does your current employer offer good maternity pay (above statutory)? If you change job now you'll only be entitled to maternity allowance (and I don't know how much - there are calculators you can use to work out what).
Tbh in your position I couldn't do it. I would have to be honest with this new potential employer, express my true interest in the job but that it's a hard time to move right now. If they want you they could hire a contractor for a year and wait... I know interviewing for it and taking it is perfectly legal but I couldn't do it. Up to you. I looked pretty pregnant by 20ish weeks which you must be by now?

Crunchyside Wed 10-May-17 09:18:48

Can't hurt to apply. I disagree that its unprofessional or whatever - sure, they'll have to cover you for a few months, but you might be the best person for the job.

SlB09 Wed 10-May-17 11:18:34

Thanks all, I do struggle with the moral aspect of it , I think thats why I posted - and if someone else did it I probably wouldnt think particularly highly of them to be honest, its NHS, different trust but wouldnt affect mat pay or anything. Hmmm.

Lallypopstick Thu 11-May-17 20:10:31

I did something very similar - and yes I feel bad about it, but should I have not applied for a perfect job because I'm pregnant? To say it's unprofessional is really annoying and borderline sexist in my opinion.

mummabubs Sat 13-May-17 08:49:56

I'll openly be doing something similar- I work in the NHS and I know funding has been approved for a post in a neighbouring team (same trust). The post won't be advertised until I'm on mat leave, but I'll definitely apply. My current job is so stressful (bad team dynamics) that even if I don't get the other job I can see myself literally returning for the 12 weeks I'd need to keep my mat pay and then handing in notice. I do feel a little bit bad as I'm the only one of my profession in my current service, so I know that will leave a gap, but for mine (and my child's) wellbeing I know going for the other job is the right option at this time.

SlB09 Sat 13-May-17 09:57:41

@mummabubs I think if I was already on or soon to be mat leave I'd have no issues as with DBS, occy health etc normally taking time it would kind of balance itself. But im not due to start until july/august so theycwould essentially be waiting up to a year for me 😳

NaturWilde Sat 13-May-17 10:00:39

It's not unprofessional. It's human.

You apply. You carry on life as normal! Sounds like you will be a great long term asset to this company, and good companies take the long term view.

You'll take a period of maternity leave relative close to the start of your tenure. That's all.

NaturWilde Sat 13-May-17 10:00:50

And best of luck with your application!

NotQuiteJustYet Sat 13-May-17 15:51:39

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant and due to start a new job on Monday, within the same company I've been with for years now. I found out I was expecting 2 days after accepting the job and I've been struggling morally with how work will react to the news since I found out. Long story short, I'd have been taking mat leave anyway regardless of my role or salary, no point in feeling guilty etc.

Definitely apply, good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now