Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Birthday blues / depression

(6 Posts)
FreeNiki Tue 09-May-17 00:47:16

Does anyone get really depressed around their birthday? This one has been terrible. I felt depressed leading up to it. Had a terrible day as I had no one to spend it with. Now I feel as if Ive blown it and I could have had a happier day and its gone now.

Im single no dc and got made redundant so really am in the shit with little support. I got a totally shit present from a family member which I cant believe they gave me. I give them decent stuff and thoughtful things they'd actually use and like.

AuntyElle Tue 09-May-17 01:07:10

Yes, I find birthdays a bit grim as an adult, and get low before/after. They tend to show up everything that isn't there in your life.
I'm sorry you had a crap day. Sending you flowers.
What would your alternative plans have been? Can you still do them on an un-birthday? wink

FreeNiki Tue 09-May-17 02:32:48

I would have had something nice to eat, had a cocktail or something and gone somewhere nicer. id still have been alone

fiftyplustwo Tue 09-May-17 05:59:28

Yes, birthdays are difficult! Couldn't you set up an alternative birthday with friends, a get-together? It doesn't have to be on the exact date, even though it helps if it's within a month or two of the original date. "I didn't get to celebrate my birthday and wonder if you would want to come over for dinner/tea/going to xx/shopping" (your favourite activity). Bake a cake. Presents are for small children, I've come to realize that now at age 52, you usually don't get a lot of presents for your birthdays as an adult.

FreeNiki Tue 09-May-17 10:04:10

Im not bothered about presents at all.

I didnt even get to see anyone or have a drink though.

Poudrenez Fri 12-May-17 16:58:28

I have to say my life is quite good at the moment, but despite all this I still get depressed at birthdays. They always remind me of my neglected childhood.

Can you do something nice for yourself?
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now