Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Question about vaginal odours

(22 Posts)
questioncurious Wed 19-Apr-17 20:35:39

NCed for this. Not something I ask even my closest friends.
Whenever anyone mentions on here that they have any vaginal odour someone suggests that they have an infection. I know I haven't got an infection but I do get vaginal odour. Not all the time: obviously not straight after showering and varies according to where I am in my cycle. But for instance, if I am going out in the evening and haven't showered since morning, I always give my genital area a quick wash and at certain times of the month I find trousers might be a but wiffy by the end of the day.
I assumed this was normal but recently I stayed with a friend who showers every other day and so on the non-shower day she just gets up and dresses. There's no way I could do this without smelling.
Really just curious. I know it's a very intimate thing but have always wondered.

questioncurious Thu 20-Apr-17 10:26:30

I realise that I didn't actually ask the question, which is: is this normal? I realise not everyone is the same ( reference friend showering every other day!) but I wonder if it's also quite common to be like me.

CatherineHate Thu 20-Apr-17 17:24:28

totally normal for it to change during your cycle. But what causes the bigger effect is your diet, I have noticed a huge difference since I've been eating more healthily

whatdoyouwant Thu 20-Apr-17 17:35:42

Wearing natural fibres makes a big difference.

questioncurious Thu 20-Apr-17 17:47:25

Thank you for your responses, both of which suggest subtly that it's not really normal!

kaitlinktm Thu 20-Apr-17 17:58:18

I would certainly be wiffy if I didn't shower every day - and I do tend to wear natural fibres, not sure about the healthy diet though.

floraeasy Thu 20-Apr-17 18:00:22

Are you talking about a smell from within/discharge? Or just general sweatiness around crotch? I think we sweat more during different times of the month.

Do go for a check-up at a clinic - even if no infection, you might have BV (a bacterial imbalance).

I had a recent thread about douching. I am not recommending that to you, as I was put straight on that practice grin but I find I was doing it after sex. I don't have BV or an infection (I have been checked), never had any gynae problems whatsoever. It's just that some jizz stinks (whether it enters me or not) but when it does enter me - yuck! - I don't like the smell that hangs around.

I can sometimes get an unpleasant smell using the loo after another woman, say at work. I don't know how often they shower, if they have a problem, but yes, there's a smell alright!

MusicToMyEars800 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:00:50

mine always depends on clothing and diet.

questioncurious Thu 20-Apr-17 18:09:24

floraeasy can I get a check for a bacterial imbalance balance at my GP's surgery?

I think the smell does come from within. It's not unpleasant, it's what I think of as a natural smell, although of course I don't want anyone else to notice it and I'm sure they don't. It's actually got much less since I had children but was very strong during pregnancy

floraeasy Thu 20-Apr-17 18:12:18

Yes you can, OP!

floraeasy Thu 20-Apr-17 18:12:35

I saw the practice nurse who took my BV test. All was fine.

floraeasy Thu 20-Apr-17 18:13:12

Natural smells are fine. If it's not offensive, OP, that may be normal for you. We all have our own scent and that's fine.

CryptoFascist Thu 20-Apr-17 18:14:43

Balance Activ is a good product for restoring your natural ph. I sometimes use it after a period as I can occasionally get an odour, or as PP said, after sex if that's thrown my pH out of balance. They're a sort of pessary that dissolves inside you, not too expensive, about £8 for 12 from Superdrug. I find I only need one so a box lasts me ages.

OatcakeCravings Thu 20-Apr-17 19:32:02

I couldn't wear my trousers two days in a row. If that helps?!

highinthesky Thu 20-Apr-17 19:34:17

Vaginas do smell normally.

Are you sure there isn't an element of bladder leakage?

bellalou1234 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:27:40

Stinky fanjo

ChewingGumIsNice Thu 20-Apr-17 20:33:44

Sounds totally normal to me. Im really surprised by some of the responses. Maybe different people have different levels of smell. Different people will also have different awareness of smells.

questioncurious Thu 20-Apr-17 20:49:25

It's something I've always wondered about as per my original post. I know what I'm like and it really does seem normal to me- as in I don't think there's anything wrong but I have picked up over the years that some women must be very different. Always wonder when I wash my fanjo before an evening out if everyone does that.

FloatyCat Thu 20-Apr-17 20:50:26

Yes it's normal,and also fluctuates within a month.

RJnomore1 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:52:52

When I ovulating I stink to high heaven. Can smell it as soon as I take my pants down. Can only assume it's pheromones!

Ohyesiam Thu 20-Apr-17 20:58:43

I used to nurse in A sexual health clinic. All genitals have an odour, it's offensive odour that indicates a problem.
Op you could be more aware of you're odour than others, or have different standards to a less frequently showing friend. There is of course natural variation.

Do get checked out for bv it you want, but I think you'll find your ok. Just keep up with the level of hygeine you are happy with.

Cel982 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:54:17

Sounds normal to me, OP. BV definitely has an 'offensive' smell and a discharge - I don't think that's what you're describing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now