Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Knowing there's something wrong before diagnosis

(5 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Wed 19-Apr-17 14:25:19

I'm not usually an anxious person, but have had a rough few years with others around me being very ill and my mum currently waiting to hear if her cancer has spread.

I have a gp appointment tomorrow as I have a range of symptoms that could point to something such as fibroids, ovarian cysts or (less likely statistically) cancer.

I feel absolutely preoccupied with the thought that I have cancer. I've made a list of things I need to do if I'm diagnosed, last night I dreamt I was at a cancer treatment clinic.

I'm not normally an anxious person, I'm a realist but not a pessimist. But I just cannot shake this huge fear I have. I'm sure it's partially caused by worry for my mum, but I don't seem to rationalise it away.

Has anyone else felt like this? Did it turn out to be something or nothing?

I feel like I'm losing the plot sad

Howlandbreathe Wed 19-Apr-17 14:31:21

In my opinion is perfectly normal to feel like this.

And it's perfectly possible that indeed there is nothing wrong with you.

I convinced myself I had ovarian cancer symptoms when my sister had to have her ovaries removed. I didn't.

I also had heart palpitations when I suffered a bereavement. My gp said it was perfectly normal to feel like this.

Be kind be to yourself. Get yourself checked out to be on the safe side, but try not to worry... its a waste of your precious energy

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 19-Apr-17 23:15:13

Thank you. I absolutely know you're right. I think the worry is just getting to me and I can't talk to anyone irl (will worry my OH and would be very insensitive to discuss with my mum at the moment).

Hopefully I'll feel better once I've seen my gp tomorrow. I'm going to make myself make normal plans for the future rather than plan for me not being around IYSWIM.

DianaMitford Wed 19-Apr-17 23:33:17

I've been there too OP, both for myself and my dds. Once I even paid an online Dr in the States to assess my dd's "symptoms" shock Of course she didn't have any. It was all in my mind but I was convinced she was very ill.

Try and look at the situation rationally. What would you say if you were advising a friend who felt like you? And if all else fails - wine! Good luck tomorrow, I bet you come back saying "Whew, Dr thinks fibroids, having further tests to confirm." smile

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 20-Apr-17 18:11:15

Thanks smile. Gp was sympathetic and is running (loads of) blood tests and has ordered a scan. Feel lots better that it's being investigated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now