Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

I'm mortified. Just had a full blown argument with a woman at the bus stop.

(37 Posts)
Tweedledee3Tweedledum Tue 18-Apr-17 16:02:45

I was speaking to my husband on the phone at the bus stop. A woman asked which bus I was waiting on and I told her. She then proceeded to walk in front of me and stand in front of me in the line.

When the bus arrived, I walked in front of her and she said to the person behind her "there she goes again".

I hung up the phone and asked her if she was referring to me. She said that I should have consideration for people around me and just get back on my phone. I asked her what the problem was with me telling my husband about her and my son's day. She said that I should shut up and just turn around.

I then stooped low and said she was vile and disgusting for how she was speaking to me. Ahh I am mortified. I feel terrible.

She continued to tell me I need to have consideration for others and that she doesn't need to hear my conversation in detail. She then started saying how this must be how the young ones are these day. I'm 30!

Have I been the one in the wrong? I feel awful.

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Tue 18-Apr-17 16:03:52

*mine and my son's day

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 18-Apr-17 16:10:28

You were very restrained by not shoving her under the bus.
You were entitled to be on your phone unless you are a chat line worker and were taking a call. .. grin

Aridane Tue 18-Apr-17 16:12:09

"Vile and disgusting " - a tad OTT!

trixymalixy Tue 18-Apr-17 16:12:43

It sounds like you may have inadvertently skipped in front of her in the queue and it was that she was bothered about rather than you being on the phone.

thatstoast Tue 18-Apr-17 16:12:49

As awkward as it sounds, I think I'd be really happy if my behaviour was attributed to my youth. grin

tethersend Tue 18-Apr-17 16:15:35

I haven't seen people queuing for buses since the early eighties.

<helpful>

ShelaghTurner Tue 18-Apr-17 16:17:34

People are weird. I was yelled at in the supermarket for parking in a perfectly normal, non blue badge, non P&T space. She called me all the names under the sun in front of a load of people, I was mortified but couldn't work out what I'd done wrong. Saw her again in the car park and stuck two fingers up at her <mature> Felt better after that.

MiltopMighty Tue 18-Apr-17 16:18:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

monkeywithacowface Tue 18-Apr-17 16:19:59

To be fair listening to someone foghorn down the phone about the minutiae of there day is fucking irritating

mummabearfoyrbabybears Tue 18-Apr-17 16:35:50

It's a tough one to be fair. I think you were right and she was really rude. People are getting so up their arses about mobile phone use. I think it's the next thing to get on your high horse about. I take calls from my husband when I'm at the park with my children (shock) and people have given me 'the look' and in the supermarket queue but walk a mile in someone else's shoes. My husband is in Iraq, de-mining and risking his life. If he phones I'm answering. Simple as that. We've been married 25 years so lots of 'pre smart phone' years. That meant months of not hearing from him. It was awful. Especially when the children came along. I hope you're OK OP. You must be feeling a bit shaken up!

user1492528619 Tue 18-Apr-17 16:36:25

Some people are just awfully rude by nature.

Someone else probably gave her an earful earlier and you have been the one to cop for it. Well done for standing up to her, I bet she isn't used to
it.

Ignore, forget and don't let it bother you, you did nothing wrong.

cansu Tue 18-Apr-17 16:38:01

I think sometimes when people are pointlessly rude, it is hard not to respond in kind. I am a very reserved and non confrontational person but if someone is rude like that to me I tend to respond and stand up for myself much more than I used to. I suppose the proviso is to think beforehand as you could end up with someone very aggressive.

SeaCabbage Tue 18-Apr-17 16:38:20

Hearing about someone else's day while you are waiting for a bus and cannot get away, is bloody irritating.

GwenStaceyRocks Tue 18-Apr-17 16:40:58

It sounds as though she thought you had skipped her hence why she went in front of you when you said you were waiting for the same bus. If it had been a different bus, she wouldn't have minded you skipping in front.
I do find it rude if people are having loud phone conversations in queues. The other people can't get away from you. Of course, they can't get away from a RL conversation either but they tend to be quieter.

tabbymog Tue 18-Apr-17 16:41:55

Hmmmm... I wonder what it would be like if everyone, or most people, in the queue were on their phones doing the same thing.

It reminds me of my days commuting by train. So many people would get on the phone and the first thing they'd say, loudly, was 'Hi! Yaaah. I'm on the train!'. One day I lost it and said, louder than I meant to, 'Aren't we all!'.

I felt like putting my head in my hands, but fortunately for me there were more laughs than disapprovals. It got around the office, though, because two of my co-workers were sitting close enough to hear me. smile

savedbythebell Tue 18-Apr-17 16:42:25

Why should it bother her that you're speaking on the phone. I love listening to strangers on their phones, either at bus stops or on the bus. Relieves the boredom. She was in the wrong, not you.

TheFrendo Tue 18-Apr-17 16:42:28

I wouldn't want you talking on the phone near me. Why should I have to listen to your inane/important call?

LesisMiserable Tue 18-Apr-17 16:42:52

We had an incident yesterday. Just got a new car and a bit nervous still of parking it in a tight spot. Found a spot and in front of it was a middle aged couple eating chips in their car. My partner asked if they would mind moving just a little (they had tons of room) so we could get in behind them. The woman gave DP a straight no. Which took him back a bit. The guy though said yes no problem so then the woman kicked off at him for agreeing to move the car and started swearing at him and then DP. DP started swearing back. Meanwhile I was apologising profusely to everyone, including a man up a ladder painting a sign nearby grin Woman jumped out of the car, shouting and swearing at the guy in the car and stormed off. The guy sat eating his chips, quite happy and not really fazed by all appearances. DP parked the car. It was a bit bloody weird. I think they must have already have been having a row or something.

FeckinCrutches Tue 18-Apr-17 16:46:19

MiltopMighty Where does it say she lives in London? confused

EverythingEverywhere1234 Tue 18-Apr-17 16:47:20

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why people get so arsey about someone being on their phone. I find it pathetic. SWBU for being a rude tool, YWB(albeit less)U for engaging imo.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Tue 18-Apr-17 16:47:56

LesisMiserable
The guy sat eating his chips
This made me laugh!!

iMatter Tue 18-Apr-17 16:47:57

I hate having to listen to people's banal everyday phone conversations.

But I'm a lot older than you op.

HappyLabrador Tue 18-Apr-17 16:54:11

Why do people get so uptight about people talking on mobile phones? It's no different to hearing a conversation between two people standing next to you, surely?

If I wanted to take a call from my Dh and I happened to be in the vicinity of other people, well, tough shit! I'm not ignoring his call in case someone nearby has a stick up their arse about mobile phone-using strangers.

FreeNiki Tue 18-Apr-17 16:56:57

Couldn't you wait until you got home to tell your husband about your day and couldnt you just ignore the silly bitch?

Both as childish and argumentative as each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now