Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

death notices

(8 Posts)
bugattiveyron Sat 15-Apr-17 23:07:18

So it's Saturday night, I'm home alone and I'm searching the death notices to find out if a relative (who I'm effectively estranged from) has died or not sad

Insomnibrat Sat 15-Apr-17 23:36:12

I didn't know you could do that? Do you mean obituaries in the paper?

bugattiveyron Sat 15-Apr-17 23:37:30

yeah, if a family put a death notice in the paper you can view them online. It's pointless me looking really as there is no family to put a death notice in the paper or online.

VimFuego101 Sat 15-Apr-17 23:40:46

If there was a will, i think it would have been listed in the London gazette.

Insomnibrat Sat 15-Apr-17 23:42:35

You can search for the death certificate from the government website but I believe its only available before 6 months ago, so someone who passed say, last week wouldn't be online. x

bugattiveyron Sat 15-Apr-17 23:43:42

They live in the US so it's different.

VimFuego101 Sun 16-Apr-17 01:51:04

US deaths can be found on the SSA death index but only after the death was 3 or more years ago.

AcrossthePond55 Sun 16-Apr-17 04:21:37

I'm in the US. Are you looking at Legacy.com? It seems as if most newspapers now do their obits through them.

You should be able to get a copy of the death certificate after about 6 weeks. I think they are still public records. You should be able to get it from the county of death after about 6 weeks.

If you know the area, you can check local funeral home websites. Sometimes they lists deaths there, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now