Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

School charging to eat packed lunch

(6 Posts)
Astro55 Sat 15-Apr-17 18:22:31

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4413398/State-schools-charging-2-day-sandwich-tax.html

Whilst it's wrong - because surely the cost should be shared between all diners - but it makes you wonder if they'll start charging a 'babysitting' fee for all lunchtime supervision!

DriveInSaturday Sat 15-Apr-17 23:18:24

Back in the 70s, my secondary school charged children who brought packed lunches. The argument was that the cost of the food was only part of the cost of school dinners -they had to pay the kitchen staff regardless of how many dinners they sold, so you had to pay for eating in the dining hall. My friend offered to eat in the classroom. That didn't go down well.

HecateAntaia Sat 15-Apr-17 23:28:07

it says schools can charge for optional extras and thats how they are justifying this but how on earth is somewhere to eat lunch an optional extra?

Astro55 Sat 15-Apr-17 23:30:00

And why aren't the parent complaining?

Especially those who probably need home catering with allergies and wheat free etc ... maybe they think it's normal!

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 15-Apr-17 23:33:00

And why aren't the parent complaining?

because it is half a story from the daily mail.

paul2louise Sun 16-Apr-17 00:45:44

Googled it. Only in the sun and the mail. Some discussion a year ago elsewhere. My mum told me she had read it in the mail. No idea which schools and why they are doing it. I would love them to have reason to charge the sandwich eaters. I and one other look after 180 children at lunchtime outside. Half are sandwich eaters. So i would get a good payout if this was the system ( joking of course). There are approx dozen staff to look after 400 children. Some teachers help too. I cant see why any school small or large can justify this charge. Is it a real story. Can anyone name any of the schools

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now