Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

If you'd seen me would you have helped.

(65 Posts)
scoobydoo83 Thu 13-Apr-17 18:10:17

Hi! Just feeling sorry for myself and wondering if my experience is fairly typical?
I was in York with my four year old dd, big back story about why I got so upset but basically the straw that broke the camel's back was that I tripped, fell, smashed my phone badly and hurt myself quite badly, trousers ripped and leg bleeding. Dd also very upset. Two men stopped, handed the phone to me, said "it's broken" and walked off, leaving me and dd on the floor crying. We got up, I was limping, I was now hopelessly lost because I'd had the phone out to find directions back to my hotel.
I asked a man to ring a taxi, I'm sobbing by this point.... He refused saying "go to the supermarket it's that way"
So off we went, got to the supermarket, not a soul asked if we were OK despite it being obvious we weren't. Finally got a taxi, the driver openly sneered and laughed at us, again despite us being obviously upset.
Everything's ok now and all sorted so obviously we weren't in real need but it was very much a low point to my week and a kind word would have been much appreciated. Do people not do this now?

Pallisers Thu 13-Apr-17 18:13:23

Of course I would have asked if I could help. That is awful behaviour.

I tripped coming out of the supermarket yesterday and went flying with my shopping. A woman ran over to me to check I was ok. As I picked up my stuff, a man came over and said "I was in my car but saw you fall - are you ok?"

FrangiePangie Thu 13-Apr-17 18:13:48

Yes I would have helped you. Shame on them for being so callous.

HecateAntaia Thu 13-Apr-17 18:14:32

yes. i absolutely would have helped you.
i like to think most people would. i am saddened that not one person was kind to you. thanks

BertsBlanket Thu 13-Apr-17 18:15:14

Sounds horrible and like you got unlucky with very busy/unfriendly passers-by.

I'd have stopped and I'm pretty sure most people I know would have too.

Glad you're ok now flowers

AnyFucker Thu 13-Apr-17 18:15:26

Yep

LordCake Thu 13-Apr-17 18:17:18

I would have helped you. It makes me sad that so many didn't. Also that taxi firm needs a complaint is the driver was openly hostile and nasty, absolutely unacceptable.

Maudlinmaud Thu 13-Apr-17 18:17:25

Of course I would have helped. I've found myself in a similar predicament and received offers of help. Are you ok?

MarvinKMooney Thu 13-Apr-17 18:18:01

Yes of course people help and I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible experience.

Strangely, I'm a york girl. Just yesterday I was in the city centre and a lady tripped and fell head long in front of me. Several people ran to help her and collect all her things that had come out of her bag.

I am so sorry that wasn't your experience. We're usually a friendly bunch and shame on those that didn't didnt help. blush

Thinkingblonde Thu 13-Apr-17 18:18:48

I would have helped you and have done for others in similar circumstances.
Shame on those who didn't.

Hellmouth Thu 13-Apr-17 18:19:08

Omg that's horrible! sad I would have at least given you directions, or called a cab from my phone!

youarenotkiddingme Thu 13-Apr-17 18:20:09

I'd have used my phone to look it up for you and walked you if close. Or of my car was nearby I'd have driven you and handed you to hotel staff requesting a stiff drink for you!

No way would I have left you until I knew you were ok. flowers

ScouseQueen Thu 13-Apr-17 18:20:32

I've seen people stop for instances like this and I would do so too. Sounds like you hit the moment when all the selfish gits in that area came out for a stroll at once. I lost my purse recently and people nearby were kind and wanted to help. You've been very unlucky. Hope you're feeling better now flowers

greathat Thu 13-Apr-17 18:21:05

I would have helped!

LineysRun Thu 13-Apr-17 18:21:26

Yes, I'd have helped you and your daughter.

Gingerbreadmam Thu 13-Apr-17 18:21:57

Definitely would have helped.

Sorry that happened to you, hope you are ok now.

Really surprised me about York dp and i always comment how friendly people are there. Poor you!

5moreminutes Thu 13-Apr-17 18:22:44

Yes, and people usually do. I've tripped and fallen in public before and had far too many people try to help, including trying to stop me getting​ up until they've decided whether I'd broken any bones (which I clearly hadn't) which is embarrassing, but far better than your experience. Sorry you had such a bad time.

RaeSkywalker Thu 13-Apr-17 18:23:01

Of course I would've helped.

Something similar happened to my Grandma when she was in her early 80s- fell over walking home from the hairdressers, broke her nose, blood everywhere. She staggered home but was passed by several people, all of whom looked the other way. I think that people are often scared to get involved. Which is such a shame.

MothButterfly Thu 13-Apr-17 18:23:10

That's awful, I absolutely would have run over to you to help if I'd seen you fall and would have helped if you came over to ask for something if I hadn't seen what happened.

alltouchedout Thu 13-Apr-17 18:23:28

Of course I would.
Hope you and your dd are OK now flowers

AnneWithAnEShirley Thu 13-Apr-17 18:25:07

Yes I would have helped you - offered you my phone, helped carry your bags to a cafe and chatted to your dd while yhings calmed down. I'm near York too.

So sorry people were so selfish flowers

BlueChairs Thu 13-Apr-17 18:25:24

I would've helped and proably given you a lift or walked you to your hote. Or I hope I would've

msgrinch Thu 13-Apr-17 18:25:42

Of course i would have helped you. You could have used my phone. I'd help cheer dd up and make sure you weren't too badly hurt, handed you some babywipes and any other bits you need and Got you in a taxi etc. It's horrible people didnt.

fruitbats Thu 13-Apr-17 18:25:52

How awful OP thanks
I think the majority of people would help and you were very very unlucky today. Hope you and DD are feeling better

Greenfingeredfun Thu 13-Apr-17 18:26:01

Yes I'd have absolutely stopped to help you. As would my 10yro son if he'd passed you too. I'm still angry that my elderly Nan fell over in Asdas car park 11 years or so ago, cut her face and her shopping scattered everywhere. Quite a few people were nearby and gasped/had clearly seen. Not a soul helped her up or gathered her shopping back together for her. Disgusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now