Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used fat analysis weighing scales?

(6 Posts)
Innishh Mon 21-Oct-19 09:44:52

Losing weight steadily and now want to join the gym to lift weights and build muscle so that my BMR increases and I become lean.

Worried that my “weigh loss” will stall (as in what traditional scales will read) so thinking would fat analysis scales help?

Does anyone monitor progress in this way? And how does it show eg Ibs of fat or %. If % would you be able to see progress on a weekly basis? What % would be good progress. What muscle/fat ratio should you be aiming for?

ChocOrCheese Mon 21-Oct-19 17:23:18

They are not great unless you are able to use them at the same time each day and under the same conditions. So if you have them at home, fine. At the gym it would very much depend on what time you work out and how much you have eaten/drunk before.

A tape measure and/or photos would probably be more reliable.

That said, I do use them (at home) and they do give some measure of progress.

Generally they give you a body fat percentage and a weight of lean body mass. You can work out the weight of the fat easily enough if you want to.

Losing body fat is slow. I would say that a reduction of 1% per month is very good going. I would love to achieve that. I work out hard for an hour roughly 6 days per week, and eat enough to support muscle maintenance. They say you can't build muscle if you are in a calorie deficit. I don't think that's entirely true but it is a very fine balancing act and you need patience.

You can Google pictures of females at different body fat percentages. Personally I think 25 is ideal. If I can get to 30 I will be pleased.

BellaBattenburg Mon 21-Oct-19 17:34:39

I do a bit of masters swimming. I read somewhere that the 'ideal' body fat % for a female masters swimmer is 22. ( Mind you a masters swimmer can be age 25-100+).
I read for an elite female competitive swimmer ( ie probably age 15-25 ish) the optimal fat % is 14-24%.
Swimmers can have a much higher body fat % than other athletes.
I'm currently at 25.4

Innishh Mon 21-Oct-19 19:21:03

Do you think that those body fat % are equivalent to BMI or not?

BellaBattenburg Mon 21-Oct-19 19:58:01

When I was lighter (10 stone 3lb):
Body fat 23.4% BMI 21.2

Currently 10 stone 10:
Body fat is 25.4% BMI is 22.3.

When I was heavier (12 stone 4lbs):
Body fat 30% BMI 25.3

YeOldeTrout Mon 21-Oct-19 20:12:56

The weight lifter people at work are desperate to keep their weight UP so they can lift greater weights. "Oh gawd, I'm almost below 90 kg!" exclaimed one today. They embrace body fat for the extra weight they can hoist as a result.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »