Talk

Advanced search

50+ battle of the middle-aged spread

(6 Posts)
SarfE4sticated Sun 25-Aug-19 10:26:20

I’m sat on a French beach looking at all the bods on display and it seems that middle-age spread is a thing. I used to be pretty slim without much effort but since 50 hit I have become a bit of an apple-shape with loads of belly fat.
How can I tackle it!
I walk at least 3 miles a day, always take the stairs eat healthily, but don’t really have time/money for the gym.
What’s going to work?

milliefiori Sun 25-Aug-19 12:51:28

The women I know without it do pilates and/or 200 sit ups a day. Also many of them cut out all booze and are on keto diet. I prefer to enjoy life and have a bit of extra weight.

BasedInDublin Sun 25-Aug-19 12:59:39

It sounds like you are doing many of the right things. I don't like gyms, so I go for a run few times a week (5K, 5K, 10K) ... I don't especially like to run, but my job is very much desk based.

Personally, I've found I need to exercise more at 50+. I do take care about what I eat. I don't eat snacks.

I only drink alcohol when I go out (which is one or twice a month typically).

SarfE4sticated Sun 25-Aug-19 16:12:14

That's been my thinking @Milliefiori, but seeing some of the older women on the beach, I think that if I don't do something now, it's just going to be all downhill.
Is that 200 sit-ups a year? I could manage that grin. I might do the keto thing, as toyed with it a while ago and found it quite effective.
@BasedInDublin that's brave of you, I would struggle to run 10 metres!

MouthyHarpy Thu 29-Aug-19 09:23:45

This is the section for those of us who lift weights - rather than losing weight - so I’m going to recommend weightlifting.

Get thee to a gym and start to use the barbells. Do squats and deadlifts- get a couple of sessions with a Personal Trainer and a programme for getting stronger. You’ll build muscle and tone up.

It’s far better than running for controlling your weight (although you still need to count calories) and it’s fantastic being strong.

Have a look at the YouTube/Instagram feeds of Megsquats. She offers really down to earth advice and programmes.

milliefiori Thu 29-Aug-19 11:02:59

When I read posts like @BasedInDublin's I realise why I am so fat. I too am desk-based. But I don't run 5-10ks regularly. And I do drink alcohol almost every day, except for Dry Jan and Sober October (though never lost a pound doing those, so must take in the lost calories elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »