Talk

Advanced search

We’re thinking about merging this section, what do you think?

(19 Posts)
MichaelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jun-19 11:38:01

Hi all,
We’re doing some work on making the Talk boards more useful and user-friendly for both regular and new users. After looking at some stats for the site, we think we could boost activity on the whole by merging some of the lesser used sections.

We’re proposing to fold the topics in this section into the Weight loss chat area.

This should increase the number of topics in the section - and hopefully lead to more posts and responses to members.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Thu 20-Jun-19 11:47:20

Weight lifting is not exactly closely related to weight loss! Wouldn't it fit better in health, or exercise?

BuzzShitbagBobbly Thu 20-Jun-19 11:51:35

Ooh I only just realised there even was a Weights Room board!
(which I suppose proves your point grin )

But agree with Utterly - it's more fitness than weight loss.

AnthonyCrowley Thu 20-Jun-19 11:55:42

Would be much better in exercise....because that's what it is! I lift weights to get bigger, not lose weight.

BeansandRice Thu 20-Jun-19 12:05:56

NOT THE WEIGHT LOSS FORUM.

If you have to - into the Exercise Topic. But weight training is not primarily about weight loss. And I really really don’t want to have to wade through pages and pages of angst about weight loss to find my weightlifting people.

It will make it far LESS user friendly.

Have you actually read this topic????? You may need to apologise if you haven’t. You’ve got it totally wrong.

onedayiwillmissthis Thu 20-Jun-19 12:27:36

Does not belong in Weight Loss ( is generally more about weight (muscle) gain not loss.
Exercise. Health. Fitness.

ChocOrCheese Thu 20-Jun-19 17:28:13

I just posted in the Exercise section because the plan appears to be to put exercise in the weight loss section too. I pointed out there that not everyone exercises with a view to losing weight.

Rollerbird Thu 20-Jun-19 19:58:04

Exercise and lifting together yes
Not weight loss

Lighteninginabottle27 Wed 10-Jul-19 16:18:15

Not with weight loss please. Exercise yes because I like others; do a range of different exercise of which weights makes up part of. I do not need or wish to loose weight.

SudowoodoVoodoo Thu 11-Jul-19 14:51:04

Putting various subsets of exercise together such as weights and yoga into the exercise topic is fine.

Don't mix exercise and weightloss. Many people exercise for health not specifically for weightloss. There is an overlap in interest, but the assumption that women exercise to lose weight and burn calories is very irritating when there are so many reasons.

OhtheHillsareAlive Fri 26-Jul-19 17:55:34

What you REALLY need to do is make it very very very clear that this is NOT a weight loss area. It's about lifting weights to get strong.

ChocOrCheese Sat 27-Jul-19 17:59:31

What OatheHillsareAlive said.

Jimjamjooney Sat 27-Jul-19 18:05:11

Slightly going against the grain but I think it can have a place in that topic. I know you can lift for fitness, to get stronger etc. but I'm currently losing weight at the moment and find that lifting heavy (along with eating in a slight calorie deficit) does a great job. You shed fat but don't end up looking 'soft.'

Disciplinechallenge Mon 29-Jul-19 20:12:40

Another vote not for weight loss. Fitness would be fine

MrDarcysMa Sun 11-Aug-19 21:23:01

Rename it weight lifting and merge with exercise if needed BUT NOT WEIGHT LOSS.

AuntieStella Sun 11-Aug-19 21:28:54

OFFS

If you need to merge this, put it back into Exercise (from whence it came)

If this was a site predominantly for men, would the weight-lifting section be in dieting?

OhtheHillsareAlive Mon 12-Aug-19 08:06:03

Indeed, AuntieStella

fishonabicycle Fri 30-Aug-19 20:06:25

Yup. Put this into the exercise area. Keep having to scroll through loads of middle age spread threads (sigh).

MouthyHarpy Sat 31-Aug-19 07:26:13

Yes , sigh . I wish there were a huge announcement saying

This is not a forum about weight loss.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »