Talk

Advanced search

Firbit discriminate against mums

(51 Posts)
Annie2508 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:08:37

Hello ladies, just looking for a little added support...
I have a fitbit to help get back into shape... but there are no features to allow for breastfeeding so I can't accurately assess calorie burn or needs. When I contacted fitbit they have no plans to add any despite over 1500 people wanting this on their forum page.
Smells like discrimination to me..
So I'm hoping a few of you who also use fitbits might help me lobbying for change by posting on their social media sites and sharing this.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women want to get fit too.. the data is out there, they could include it..let's stop this discrimination!

katykins85 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:55:03

As said on your other post, stop being so precious and deduct the poxy 200 max extra cals you burn yourself!!

HoneysuckIejasmine Sat 16-Mar-19 09:58:45

Breastfeeding an ebf baby burns between 400-600cals a day, reducing gradually as your baby eats more solid food.

I just created it as a cardio exercise. I don't see how it could be an inbuilt feature because how often and how much a baby is fed varies wildly. I still credit myself 100 cals a day because my 17 month old still feeds at least 10 times. I'm probably underestimating. Other babies his age may only feed once or twice, or not at all.

dementedpixie Sat 16-Mar-19 09:58:58

You can get fit without needing a Fitbit.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 16-Mar-19 09:59:41

As said on your other post, stop being so precious and deduct the poxy 200 max extra cals you burn yourself!!

Defensive, much? More like 500 cals anyway.

It is very remiss of them not to have a means for breastfeeding mothers tp take the calorie deficit into account. It's not very accommodating for the many women who do breastfeed at some stage in their adult lives.

Yes, it is sexist to discount this, ffs.

rededucator Sat 16-Mar-19 09:59:47

'Discrimination' hmm when I sit on the sofa on my fat arse I occasionally have a sneaky nose pick. Fitbit doesn't take these calories burned into consideration. It's discrimination against secret nose pickers I tell you! We shall rise up and be listened to!!!!!

NottonightJosepheen Sat 16-Mar-19 10:02:32

when I sit on the sofa on my fat arse I occasionally have a sneaky nose pick.

Depeding how fat your arse is, that will affect your resting metabolic rate so...

The nose-picking is negligible. Go for a walk ffs.

PurpleDaisies Sat 16-Mar-19 10:03:26

This is a ridiculous point of view. It isn’t discrimination. They just don’t offer additional features to calculate breastfeeding calories.

katykins85 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:03:59

I'm not at all defensive, more perplexed that anyone would think this was reasonable!!

And no, it really is more like 200 cals than 500. Literally no more than a large banana so hardly difficult to deduct yourself when you imput data!

Wenttoseainasieve Sat 16-Mar-19 10:05:03

Ooh @katykins85 something ruffled your feathers?!

BF does usually burn more like 500 cals daily. Deduct it yourself OP, but you're right it is a bit shit.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 16-Mar-19 10:05:58

They just don’t offer additional features to calculate breastfeeding calories.

Why not? Any other activity which burned 500 calories would be included.

GummyGoddess Sat 16-Mar-19 10:06:13

They used to but it was rubbish. The extra calorie burn varies hugely so there is no way to measure this. How are they supposed to work it out, depends on baby age, baby weight, whether they're sick, weaning, on feed it the evening, etc.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sat 16-Mar-19 10:08:40

No idea why people are being cunts on this threads.

OP it’s a perfectly reasonable request to Fitbit. After all, new mums make up a fair proportion of the population and they tend to want to lose some baby weight. Loads of them will be buying fitbits. It really wouldn’t be difficult for Fitbit to add a facility to account for breastfeeding. It would be a great selling point.

JollyAndBright Sat 16-Mar-19 10:08:54

hmm

I think you need a biscuit

Or as PP’s have said you could just account for the 4-600 calories yourself like everyone else does and stop being so precious.

Also that’s not what discrimination means.

everythingisbetterafteranap Sat 16-Mar-19 10:12:49

Discrimination grin

Most indulgent post in ages

adulthumanwolf Sat 16-Mar-19 10:16:30

Discrimination my arsehole.

While you're at it can you add that it also discriminates against people with fat house cats, as there is no option to calculate the extra calories burned when toting said lazy cat around the house like a bag of spuds.

LaPufalina Sat 16-Mar-19 10:20:36

There should be an option... did you see the book that Caroline Criado-Perez has written about men being the default? Eg Pedometers don't always detect steps if you're walking with a pram hmmI ran to nursery and back this week with a running double buggy and mine said I'd done 100 steps for 5.4km angry

NorthernBullet Sat 16-Mar-19 10:21:53

How would fitbit know how many calories you're burning by breastfeeding? Surely this varies massively?

NottonightJosepheen Sat 16-Mar-19 10:22:07

When you ebf a baby from birth to bonny six month old, every ounce of fat and muscle, every inch of brain, organ and skeletal growth occurs because of your milk.

That growth requires energy. That energy is not created out of nowhere. It comes from the mother's body. It requires way more than 200 cals to nourish a 6 month old.

It is sexism. And many of the scoffing answers are (internalised) sexism.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 16-Mar-19 10:22:16

They used to have this, it was crap and very inaccurate; people moaned to high heaven and it was removed.

I am not at all surprised that they have no plans to bring it back.

dementedpixie Sat 16-Mar-19 10:22:33

They don't register if I am pushing a trolley. If you carry something up the stairs e.g. a basket of washing then the stairs don't register either

HuckfromScandal Sat 16-Mar-19 10:23:37

I don’t think you understand what discrimination means.
It’s not this.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 16-Mar-19 10:24:00

There should be an option... did you see the book that Caroline Criado-Perez has written about men being the default?

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

dementedpixie Sat 16-Mar-19 10:24:16

Kellymom says 300-500 cals for breastfeeding

dementedpixie Sat 16-Mar-19 10:24:53

And how would you know which end of the range you were at?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »