Talk

Advanced search

Gym & monthly time

(10 Posts)
User974246832 Tue 08-Jan-19 21:09:04

Sorry for the embarrassing question
But I have started going to the gym about a month ago 5 days a week as I have some weight to shift. Also eating a lot better. I’ve come on this month and like usual they are painful ( I’ve been to a gp nothing at all wrong I’m just a baby lol) I get bad lower back ache and cramps and really can’t go to the gym, I feel
Like this is going to happen every month and I’ll have to take a few days off from
Going to the gym. Does anyone else do this? I literally can’t go just going to work sitting at my desk is all I can normally manage to do and I have to take a hot water bottle and painkillers. Anyone else get the same monthly ? Is there anything that can ease the pains?

User974246832 Tue 08-Jan-19 21:09:33

Also because I wear pads I’d just feel disgusting and uncomfortable at the gym too

RJnomore1 Tue 08-Jan-19 21:12:18

The only thing that helps me is exercising like a bear before hand.

HundredMilesAnHour Tue 08-Jan-19 21:13:57

Nope, I never miss the gym unless I'm really really ill (i.e. proper flu or similar) and even then I've been known to try going still (and have ended up in floods of tears because I couldn't manage my usual circuit training). My rule is that if I can get to work, I can get to the gym.

I was always told that exercise is actually good for period pains. Not sure if that's true or not but it seems to work for me.

Drunkandstupidagain Tue 08-Jan-19 21:14:14

I get really bad periods (I get medication from my GP - push for it!) anyway I still go to the gym sometimes it eases the pain and sometimes it doesn’t but it has never made it worse so give it a go ! I do wear tampons st the gym though not pads - personal preference

OurChristmasMiracle Tue 08-Jan-19 21:15:02

I have a tens machine which is amazing and I just use that whilst at the gym too. It’s pads attached to a little machine roughly the size of a MP3 player so not noticeable under a top

It’s changed my life! They are a little pricey (about £30) but well worth it and mine is about 3 years old now so cheaper than painkillers long term.

Other than that I will say be kind to your body. Listen to what it is telling you.

user1471426611 Thu 10-Jan-19 22:04:48

I find I change my routine when I have severe pain for 2 days. I can't heavy lift as my pelvis feels unstable, but doing something at a lower level is fine. It actually helps to relieve pain for a short time.

Passthecake30 Thu 10-Jan-19 22:07:21

If I'm having a painful period, I just cut myself some slack and don't go.

HoneyLawson Mon 14-Jan-19 09:08:33

It can often be bad to 'push through' the pain. Our body is typically meant to rest during this time, so don't feel guilty about taking a couple of days off. Stay at home and have a gentle stretch, or a relaxing bath. As we approach ovulation our energy levels are usually higher, so hit the HIIT and weights then and really make the most of the peaks and troughs in your cycle : )

Lotsofsausage Sun 03-Mar-19 19:51:34

I still go to the gym as I spend a lot on a monthly membership and a. don't want to waste my membership money and b. need to keep in my routine. Unless I'm very bad I still go. things that help me are very early nights, ibuprofen, evening primrose oil supplements and a good sturdy bra as I get sore boobs, and using a moon cup instead of tampons. I don't push myself as hard as usual though as I get more clumsy, have less energy and don't have mu usual strength. Basically go for it if you can. but be kind to yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: