Talk

Advanced search

Stronglift 5x5

(11 Posts)
pinkhorse Sat 04-Aug-18 22:19:47

Does anyone do this? Does it work? I've been lifting for a while but never followed a specific program so am thinking about giving this a try.

Phill936 Sun 05-Aug-18 18:54:15

Hi, I have done stronglifts before in the past it's based on progressive overload and building a strong foundation for strength training. It is very good if your looking for a solid foundation to move some heavy weights. Downside is you will be incredibilli sore and it doesn't seem to let up. Hypothetically you can run it for ever but realistically a deload or rest week every 8 weeks is a good idea. It depends what your goals are.

MaggieAndHopey Tue 14-Aug-18 11:06:15

Stronglifts is the program I followed when I started lifting. It's a very good foundation and there's a lot of focus on correct form, which I think would be helpful even if you already lift.

I don't agree with Phill that you could follow it forever - one of the main features is you're supposed to add weight (5kg for deadlift, 2.5 kg for every other lift) every time you can do 5 sets of 5 for that lift - obviously there's a limit to how often you can do that! Plus if you're a woman, unless you're unusually strong in the upper body, you will find progress slower on the bench and particularly the overhead press than you will with the squats and deadlift.

You could look at Wendler's 5/3/1 as an alternative - again it's about progressive overload, but the way it's structured allows for more variety than in Stronglifts.

Phill936 Tue 14-Aug-18 14:16:02

I did say hypothetically as you can follow it to bust any plateau you come across. And you do not necessarily need to increase with the weight increase recommended. It will slow down as you begin to reach a plateau. Personally I ran this when I began lifting and progressed onto other training such as Westside, candito linear training aswell as 5/3/1. I did find after a while it did become monotonous and quite dull. Althought you should run training in cycles and change your training stimulus periodically through tempo, rest or regime

Hoopaloop Wed 19-Dec-18 19:41:14

I managed 4 weeks before I was getting squats up anyway possible, which caused me to pull something in my lower back. I should have dropped weight once I was compromising form then worked back again.

NewYearNewName111 Sun 20-Jan-19 16:48:23

It's a good program but I preferred Fierce 5 which is similar but addresses the lack of upper back work (maybe 5x5 is simpler for a beginner).

Another alternative is Starting Strength. The version without the powerclean is the same as 5x5 but is only 3x5. This is more sustainable in the long run but you just need to be sure you're pushing yourself and not using it as an excuse to do less reps at same weight.

I also find a good warm-up routine essential - Agile 8/Limber 11 are good. From your mid 30s onwards you can't just just spend 5 mins on the treadmill/bike and then just jump straight into squats IMO.

diamondeaglerangerovercastle Tue 22-Jan-19 23:41:43

I'm doing StrongLifts now as I'm a new(ish) mum and being back at work I don't have much time for all the endurance running or going to classes I used to do. So I figured it's a good "value for time" program and I don't need to plan anything.

I've done quite a few years of Olympic lifting as a supplement to my running (but always conservative on the weights due to wanting to run regularly)! and think my form is ok- but wtaf can I do to progress my bench? I have been stuck on 37.5kg for YEARS.

I can do 5x5 pull-ups no problems .. 20 full pushups no problem - but if I try to bench press a 40kg barbell I wither!

pinkhorse Wed 23-Jan-19 07:12:34

I ditched stronglifts after 5 months. I know do a 4 day a week programme with plenty of accessories and I'm stronger than I've ever been! I do some variety of bench every day of the week that I train. I do close grip bench, spoto press, pause bench and normal bench. Oh and try floor press.
How is your form? Do you get under the bar and pull your chest into it? Do you have an arch? Do you get your breathing right? Are your wrists straight?

pinkhorse Wed 23-Jan-19 07:12:52

Now not know grin

ineedtobuyafan Thu 24-Jan-19 06:30:16

pinkhorse
Can I ask what 4 day programme you are following? I'm needing inspiration at the moment!

diamondeaglerangerovercastle Thu 24-Jan-19 07:12:56

Thanks pinkhorse, I don't have an arch as it confuses me. I do think I have good form as I was taught by someone who was OCD about it.

I wonder if I should get a PT to do a few sessions on form ..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: