Talk

Advanced search

Newbie on the free weights. Where do I start?

(12 Posts)
WindDoesNotBreakTheBendyTree Sun 29-Jul-18 18:37:13

Right, I've exercised all my life (swimming, running, yoga). Have had ankle injuries so yoga's been out for a few months and my muscle tone is suffering. I do the fixed weights on the machines at the gym but really want to start using the free weights, but don't know where to begin.

I want to build muscle generally, but want to build strength especially rhomboids/trapezius/lats. I want my yoga arms back.

Am perimenopausal, so it all feels quite urgent.

Can anyone set me off in the right direction - suggestions for key starter sets and/or website links to good technique?

Notepad Tue 31-Jul-18 11:48:09

When I started exercising a few months ago and I was terrified! It's the getting into the routine which is the hard part.

I felt the same as you when I started so I had a look around for 'beginner guides' on the internet and came across hundreds of them!

Choose the ones which best fit your needs but for me personally, this one helped loads!

Hope it helps you like it did for me!! smile

healthnotepad.com/beginners-guide-to-fitness/

WindDoesNotBreakTheBendyTree Tue 31-Jul-18 12:08:58

Thankyou!

I kind of improvised the combos today, feel it in the right places. But I also need something mega simple to remember as a routine for a spell.

I'll have a poke about on that site

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Tue 31-Jul-18 12:14:51

I can't offer much advice on the free weights, but we put in a pull up bar across our kitchen door way last year. At first I could barely hang on it (always had one foot on the ground)- now, after dangling on it for a minute each day before heading to/from the snack cupboard, I can do one arm pull ups!

NicoAndTheNiners Tue 31-Jul-18 12:15:50

I find Pinterest quite good for pictures/diagrams of various exercises, just search for what you want. You can save stuff on your board and access it in the gym.

Instagram also good for videos if you’re not sure of technique....as long as they’re doing good technique I guess.

NicoAndTheNiners Tue 31-Jul-18 12:16:58

myfamily. That’s impressive. <runs off to order pull up bar>

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Tue 31-Jul-18 12:25:44

@Nico - thanks! It looks nice a subtle (just a plain chrome bar) & was easy to put up, so it's well worth it. I think I got it off amazon for about £16 ? - I can't believe how much it has changed, toned and strengthened my upper body (in a nice way! - not like body builder style ).

Tigresswoods Tue 31-Jul-18 12:27:14

Is there a kettlebell or kettlercise class in your area? DH & I started going to one in March & we both love it.

Phill936 Sun 05-Aug-18 19:01:41

Try as a basic back workout;
Bent over rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps
Lat pull down machine 3 sets of 10-12
Face pulls with the rope attachment 3 sets of 10-12
Rear felt flys 3 sets of 10 -12 reps

I would hit traps at the end of a shoulder routine with plate or dumbbell shrugs same kind of reps range.

SpoonfulOfJam Sat 11-Aug-18 19:01:54

Have you tried a body pump class? I’ve learnt so much, and toned up in about 8 months. My next step is to learn how to use the machines on the gym.

AngelsAckiz Tue 21-Aug-18 22:24:33

I second body pump! It's brilliant because it's structured and with music and what you learn you can take with you to the gym floor.

Also, that's amazing with the pull up bar! Might get one!

AlannaOfTrebond Tue 21-Aug-18 22:52:09

I started with Body pump too, which is what got me into weights. I'd suggest either a one off with a PT or getting an induction and one of your gym staff to write you a programme.

I tried using the net and got so lost, despite a relatively good basis in what i was doing. Some professional advice was so worth it for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: