Talk

Advanced search

Tummy overhang

(7 Posts)
mummyrabbitpeppapig Tue 08-May-18 23:09:34

I have back problems and knee problems. How can I lose my tummy overhang ( DD is 4 now ) obviously solutions ups or weight bearing excersizes are a no go. Tried swimming as single mum so no childcare to go to gym./ Classes etc any advice? Tia

mummyrabbitpeppapig Tue 08-May-18 23:10:20

Sit ups ( how did it auto correct to solutions???!! )

scumbagmillionaire Tue 24-Jul-18 08:39:05

I'm no expert but would think your priority would be to fix your back. Have you considered Pilates or yoga? These could easily be done at home but they're are often classes you can

ShowOfHands Tue 24-Jul-18 08:45:36

I cycle a 16 mile trip 3 times a week, run 60k a week, do 5 interval workouts and lift weights/do pull ups/full body weight workouts 4 times a week. I'm a small size 8 and very fit. I will never lose my overhang.

What is causing your overhang? Have you been checked for diastasis recti?

You can't spot reduce fat ie you can't target one area to lose weight from and sit ups are of limited use anyway but you can tone all you like and this might not make any difference depending on what the overhang is caused by.

Do you want to get fit? Regain mobility? Lose weight? Lose inches?

slinkysaluki Fri 08-Feb-19 05:15:29

Swiss ball core exercises

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sat 09-Mar-19 11:09:42

Pilates!

alittleprivacy Mon 26-Aug-19 13:39:55

I skate and it's had an amazing effect on my core. My stomach was ruined by a number of surgeries before I was pregnant, then massive pregnancy and a c-section. Everything I'd ever read led me to believe that I'd never be able to fix it without surgery, so for 6 years, I just accepted it as what my stomach looked like now.

I took up skating for fun rather and it's a great activity that I can do with my son. We go to the rink, skatepark and on river skates together. (It took a few visits to the rink for him to be able to skate independently and once he could I was free to skate for me for the bulk of our visits.) But the effects it's had on my body and fitness is unbelievable. I thought I might 'tone up' a bit from skating but the change in my body has been drastic. After 3 months of skating my leg muscles had toned up significantly which wasn't unexpected. After 4 months, I'd somehow started to develop really nice biceps. About 6 months into skating I noticed visible abs starting to appear on top and the saggy pooch over my scar starting to lift. Skating requires an awful lot of work from your core and while I'd felt my core being stronger and more engaged, I never expected that to become visible on the outside. Another month on and I have a 4 pack and the pooch has shrunk at the sides and lifted more. I'm using some oil on my stomach as it tones and it genuinely does seem to be making the stretched out skin a bit more supple as my stomach reshapes.

My stomach does still look damaged and I don't expect the surgery scars to ever heal completely and there is loose skin that is unlikely to ever full tighten in my 40s. But it's truly amazing compared to how it was. I'd now consider wearing a bikini for the first time in nearly a decade. I wear a crop top in front of people. The pooch isn't visible through fitted clothes anymore. But I used to look at my stomach and think of the episode of Sex and the City where Samantha dated an old man until she saw his butt, because my stomach looked like that. This photo is what it looks like today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »