Talk

Advanced search

Getting enough protein

(10 Posts)
Triskaidekaphilia Sat 14-Apr-18 16:33:39

So everything I've read for strength training says I should get at least 1g of protein per lb body weight, often more is reccomended. For me that's 159g and I struggle to get even half of that!

I would like to know if you have any tips for getting more protein in or what your average day looks like if you're someone who manages to eat a lot of it.

Some of it might be hard for me to use because I have some awkward dietary requirements, low budget and I'm on about 1500 cals a day but I'd still find it interesting to know.

Triskaidekaphilia Sat 14-Apr-18 16:42:18

Sorry for starting a post with so, I'm not a fan of that grin

cliffdramas Sun 15-Apr-18 12:12:15

You could try why protein powder. It's a quick and easy way to get an extra protein dose.

cliffdramas Sun 15-Apr-18 12:12:45

Whey protein powder not why!

Triskaidekaphilia Sun 15-Apr-18 15:39:45

Thank you smile a nutritionist has recommended I not have dairy or soya (hormone reasons) so I ordered some protein powder that's free of both, and also some 'protein water' which I hope doesn't taste awful!

Earslaps Mon 16-Apr-18 22:09:46

I'm finding this really hard too! It's a lot of protein!

I've just started a new exercise and eating plan- a portion of protein at every meal and double sized for dinner. Then a protein shake after a weights session.

I'm eating a lot of eggs! Buy lots, boil six at a time and use for easy breakfast or lunch. I made some pork and beef mince meatballs that were a dinner with leftovers and can be an easy lunch. A tuna salad with a whole can of tuna, prawn salad. Frozen chicken breasts can be pretty cheap so cook up and slice for lunches.

Pork fillet is cheap, things made with pork or turkey mince too (turkey mince chilli with beans), or chicken thigh fillets.

Earslaps Mon 16-Apr-18 22:13:34

Btw- the plan I'm on is only carbs on training days, otherwise it's the protein plus loads of veg. I guess that keeps the calories down.

There's a 14hr fast, so don't eat breakfast until 14 hours after you finish dinner. Then three meals spread over the ten hours. That means no need to snack.

Triskaidekaphilia Tue 17-Apr-18 00:36:38

That's interesting Earslaps, similar to the plan I'm on; I've also been told to include protein at every meal, 12hr fast on weekdays and 14hr at weekends. I'm having 4 small meals atm but one of them will be replaced with a protein shake when my powder comes smile

UkPod Tue 24-Apr-18 02:54:26

You don't need anywhere near what is recommended by supplement companies or most bodybuilding forums IMO. And whey protein is expensive although it's probably the most convenient way of getting a lot in. You can get almost all the benefits of whey protein powder by buying low fat milk mixed with chocolate nesquik, it's almost exactly the same nutritionally.

PS - it's the essential amino acids in the protein that your body actually needs, not the "whey", which is just a posh way of saying "milk curd".

market Thu 03-May-18 10:11:08

HI - I have a lot of friends who have had the same as me - weight loss surgery - and protein is a huge part of our day - so an egg is on avg 7g protein - so I have 2 in a scrambled egg breakfast - tuna I have around 30g of protein and I take this in a 3 bean salad to work - this gives me another 40g in total - then I have a milk protein drink at work which is savse this is 10g and when I am home I have a 20g of a fish or chicken supper with only 15g of carbs and 35g of veg - and I use high protein veg - I normally end on 120g of protein for the day

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: