Talk

Advanced search

Weight lifting while dieting -will my flab turn into chunkiness?

(7 Posts)
AdultHumanFemale Sun 08-Apr-18 23:30:26

So pleased to find this board. I hope someone can give me some sensible advice, as a colleague has got me worried.
I have started trying to lose weight before a holiday in 8 weeks. I am 174 cm tall and weigh 75 kg, so about 10 kg too heavy, although I am only looking to drop down to 70 kg because of the time frame.
I have dropped all sugar, starchy veg, processed foods, fruit and grains to start myself off, in favour of leafy greens, brassicas, lean protein, dairy, nuts and berries, and 2 weeks in am feeling good and have shed an unexpected 3 kg, though I don't expect or aspire to sustain this rate of loss. My gradual gain since DCs hasn't occurred on account of a poor diet, but rather a lack of portion control and insufficient exercise.
My question is this: I'm keen to do some weight training in order to prevent muscle loss, and was told by my post-natal physio (wild diastasis recti) that resistance bands would be better than regular weights for me, in order to prevent straining (and cycling or swimming for cardio as opposed to high impact exercise). As I am currently so chunky, will doing lots of reps, albeit with a fairly low resistance band / tube just turn into really bulky muscle and stay like that? A colleague said that one shouldn't do weights until one has reached one's preferred weight for this reason, but that can't be right? I have found some nice band routines, but they appear aimed at people who are already fit. Just got off my exercise bike and worry that my calves and thighs will be Hulkishly muscly instead of just plain plump grin
Can someone reassure me?

MsMartini Mon 09-Apr-18 08:38:39

Hi OP - most women can't build muscle in the way I think you mean and also low reps/light weights will build less. But it won't happen overnight anyway - give it a go and see if you like the results.smile I am short and dumpy in body shape and have lost some weight with strength training but less than my change in dress size IYSWIM.

user1471426611 Mon 09-Apr-18 09:04:50

Hi OP over the last 15 months I've lost 5 1/2 stone (35kg). I joined the gym at the start and have been doing weight training - body weight and free weights throughout. I did and still do low weights for higher numbers and heavier weights as well but I am not bulky, instead the weight training has helped me lose weight evenly across my body. Also I have no loose skin.

The weight training has really helped me and I would suggest you keep going with it. For me it's been invaluable! Good luck.

Bluntness100 Mon 09-Apr-18 09:17:51

It's incredibly difficult for women to bulk up, weight lifting has the opposite effect on us, it makes us leaner.

I lift most days, low reps with a heavy weight improves strength, high reps with a low weight builds endurance. Both burn fat and it's been proven the low reps with a heavy weight can be more effective with this and also clearly strength eventually becomes endurance.

For me I do sets of eight, which is about mid ground and I do the heaviest weight I can to manage three sets. The result is by body is leaner and more defined/toned. I'm not muscular is the slightest.

So no I wouldn't worry, but I would aim more mid ground that lots of reps with a low weight to get faster results.

AdultHumanFemale Mon 09-Apr-18 09:27:49

Thank you for taking the time to respond, that is really kind. I like the feeling of weights / resistance training, and am reassured by your experience. I will carry on and hopefully find a routine which covers all bases.
Thanks again smile

thecapitalsunited Mon 09-Apr-18 09:33:11

It’s really hard to bulk up unless you are taking in calories to build the muscle. Weight lifters tend to eat a lot when they’re on a bulking cycle then slim down to remove the fat. You’ll be dieting so no calories spare to build muscle. Also without testosterone it’s hard to build super massive muscles so you won’t get a manly physique by lifting weights unless you both go nuts with it and start doping!

AdultHumanFemale Mon 09-Apr-18 19:42:32

Thank you, Capital , that is good to know!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »