Talk

Advanced search

Getting my squats a little lower?

(20 Posts)
Gauisacat Thu 05-Apr-18 21:53:02

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions I might not have thought of! I'm returning to lifting after a long illness and can't seem to get my squats as low as I'd like. My hamstrings are definitely no tighter than they used to be and I've had a friend check my form is alright. Is there anything else you can think of which might be keeping my dragged bum up in the air? grin

MsMartini Thu 05-Apr-18 23:03:58

Can you go lower on lighter weights, have you tried slightly different stances on lower weights and have you changed your shoes? No expert, just things I have been messing around with. Well done on getting back to it!

Gauisacat Thu 05-Apr-18 23:25:07

All good ideas, but I'm not even getting low with just bodyweight - it's driving me nuts! My shoes are the same kind as before but trying a different kind is an idea I'd not thought of. I can go a little lower with sumo squats I think, so slightly different stances might be worth me experimenting with too smile Maybe my hamstrings are tight and I'm kidding myself, I don't know!

MsMartini Fri 06-Apr-18 08:40:46

My instinct would be to practice lots of bodyweight squats for now and leave the weights but as I say, no expert. Does it feel like your bottom is going back and down and then your hamstrings kick in and hurt?

Gauisacat Fri 06-Apr-18 16:47:54

My hips are going back and down, hamstrings definitelyengaged but not uncomfortable, then I hit a point where I just can't seem to go lower. I'm just about breaking parallel at the moment, so I guess that's something..

MsMartini Fri 06-Apr-18 16:57:59

Ah well, that sounds OK to me? Everyone has different flexibility in ankles and hips I think? Did you used to go lower and do you feel your glutes are doing more (too much?) of the work?

Gauisacat Fri 06-Apr-18 18:34:46

I definitely used to go lower. Maybe my flexibility has just changed as I've gotten older sad Everything else feels about the same as far as I can remember.

Helspopje Fri 06-Apr-18 18:38:53

Spot on the wall to look at
Screw your feet into the ground
Big shrug
Double breath to fix core
Knees out
Knees follow toes

For me, my depth goes to pot if i look down, fail tp extend and hold my back and let my knees come in

Helspopje Fri 06-Apr-18 18:40:30

Also -what are we talking here - barbell back squays?

I find a stint doing front squats tightens up technique

Strongbeatsskinny Fri 06-Apr-18 20:18:03

Breaking at parallel is fine so long as your pushing up through heels and not bouncing out of the squat are squeezing the muscle For every single rep.

esk1mo Fri 06-Apr-18 20:20:52

are you stretching your hips and back regularly?

Gillpom Fri 06-Apr-18 20:49:26

Sounds to me you just need to stretch more, after a long break of not working out your ligaments got a bit tightened keep lifting!

Gauisacat Fri 06-Apr-18 20:53:58

I'm doing really regular stretching, so if it is the hamstrings being tight then hopefully they'll loosen up smile I'm currently doing front squats with a fairly few weight (if any). I'm determined to work out what's going on before I go heavy or switch to back barbell!!

Definitely no bouncing going on but I'm wondering if I'm looking down part way through - something to keep in mind definitely!

esk1mo Sat 07-Apr-18 01:21:04

its important to stretch your hip flexors and back aswell. there will be loads of youtube tutorials. ankle mobility is important too.

i say this as someone with hip impingement and therefore chronic tight hips and back. my hamstrings arent a problem when it comes to squatting.

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 07-Apr-18 10:44:06

Go on YouTube put in limber 11 and do that before you train legs.

TheRagingGirl Thu 19-Apr-18 21:04:46

Can you think about putting your weight into your heels? That’s how I get right down. I try to think about my bum touching my heels.

I have to think about weight back because it’s so alien to me after 30 years of doing ballet, where we never put our weight into our heels!

UkPod Tue 24-Apr-18 02:50:21

Tight hip flexors

Nakedavenger74 Tue 24-Apr-18 03:37:13

I have limited mobility in my ankles so it seems so find it difficult to get into low squats. I have to widen my legs out to get into anything like a squat.

I've found the TRX really really useful. It allows me to go way down to where I want to be and exercise around that level. I can feel it's in my ankle mobility

cmwife Mon 28-May-18 04:56:13

Tight calves and achilles can affect squat depth.

LordEmsworth Mon 28-May-18 05:47:55

Use a heel lift for a bit, to learn the range of movement (so heels are slightly higher than toes e.g. on a slanted plank)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: