Talk

Advanced search

Weighted work outs for the gym

(8 Posts)
PandaEyes2 Thu 15-Mar-18 09:20:53

Hi all,

I've been going to the gym for a couple of months now. My original aim was to lose a little bit of weight and just tone. But I've actually really enjoyed it and want to build some actual muscle. But I'm too scared to go solo on the actual weights equipment in the gym, and at the moment I'm only doing classes, my week looks pretty much like this -
Mon - Abs or spin or yoga
Tues - les mills body pump
Wed - les Mills cxworkx
Thurs - les Mills sprint (spin)
(Every other) Sat - les Mills body pump
Sun - les Mills body pump

I've found I am finding it easier to lift heavier in the body pump classes and I feel much stronger in cxworkx (which is essentially a core abs class with resistance bands and weighed squats etc). I'm starting to see some muscle growth but know I'll need more to actually build all over muscle.

My question is, where do I start and what do I do. Never touched a single bit of weights equipment so need some guidance.

Money is fairly tight, so I can't really afford a personal trainer at £35 an hour.

MsMartini Thu 15-Mar-18 12:30:10

Hi there. You do really need someone to show you how to use the equipment I think. Did you have an induction at the gym? You shouldn't really have to pay to be shown how to use the equipment safely and have a basic programme worked out. I use a mixture of weights machines, free weights, and bodyweight exercises, and have found other people (from classes and the weights room) helpful once I once a familiar face!

PandaEyes2 Thu 15-Mar-18 12:55:06

Hi @MsMartini

No I've not had an induction as I've only just been doing classes. I did grap a PT a few weeks ago and asked him to show me some of how they all work but he was too interested in telling me what a fantastic PT he is and why diet is important etc (basic knowledge with fitness) and then sent me on my way, so I'm still none the wiser. My partner goes to the same gym but because of my son one of us has to be at home for him so it's not like he can even show me.

Maybe I'll have to grab a different PT and see if they'll show me what to use etc. Thank you

MsMartini Thu 15-Mar-18 13:17:57

I'd ask at reception what the deal is - usually gyms make you have an induction I think - to cover themselves if nothing else?

PandaEyes2 Thu 15-Mar-18 14:23:16

It's pure gym so they don't have reception as you use a key pad code to get in and out through entrance pods. I can see from the menu where you book classes that there is an option to book an induction, maybe I'll have to look at that instead

Strongbeatsskinny Mon 19-Mar-18 14:26:09

Typical attitude of most pure gym pt that you approached sadly they don’t see it as an opportunity for a potential clientele which is the very thing they are missing. I’d look into all their profiles which are available on your dashboard see if any of them have a passion for lifting or more look in good shape and practice what they preach.

Sadly enough many of these PTs are just after your money and are fresh to the job with very basic qualifications. But amongst them you may find a good one who’s continued to educate themselves beyond that basic qualification.

I’d ask you which Pure gym your based at but do realise that may out you even though each club probably has 5000 members to choose from. I could possibly look into their profiles on your behalf and tell you which ones would be the one to ask.

Klarabing Fri 30-Mar-18 08:54:09

Follow prople on instagram. Some show weightlifting techniques in their stories... i follow loads of different exercise people and it has taught me loads. The ledbetters and luke hayter are 2 i can think of at the moment.

Bluntness100 Fri 30-Mar-18 08:59:33

Book a session with a PT, don't try to get it for free. They won't like it.

Alternatively look at the Chloe Madeley app, weights for women, it's what I used when I first started and her objective was to explain to women what to do and remove the uncertainty when you go into that secton of the gym.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: