Talk

Advanced search

Abdominal separation?

(7 Posts)
PandaEyes2 Thu 22-Feb-18 09:14:55

Hi,

I have recently started at the gum as I would like to lose my "flabby tummy" and build some tone and muscle. I have been attending some body pump xworx sort of classes involving weights etc just until I become more confident with how weights work.

I am 5ft 5.5 and weigh 9st 6 (about 2 weeks ago), my body fat is 22% so from what I understand that's low and I'm a size 8. I've changed my diet so it's healthier and am at the gym about 4 times a week. Doing the same sort of core, body pump sort of classes with the odd bit of spin thrown in.

It's just dawned on me though, as I still have this little podge at the front of my belly that or could be abdominal separation. I dont know if I've checked it right but couldn't feel anything at the top but at the bottom of my belly button felt a little more than just 3 fingers width (if I've checked it correctly). Can I go to the doctors to get it checked that is is the case before I go making it worse at the gym? I've been going to the gym consistently for about a month now. I'm seeing results and tone through my arms and legs but nothing on my tummy. However I know it could take time.

I use a whey protein shake after every workout. Don't think that will have any correlation to this but thought I'd add that too lol. Any advice?

PandaEyes2 Thu 22-Feb-18 09:23:00

I've tried to attach a couple of photos, doesn't look as bad in them but it's definitely there!

Bobbybobbins Thu 22-Feb-18 15:56:35

I am almost exactly the same height and weight as you and have an abdominal separation after enormous baby number 2. After 2 years my belly button is finally starting to go back in and my bulging tummy is worse than yours. Losing weight doesn't help massively so I need to up my exercise I think.

I got 'diagnosed' by a Pilates teacher who showed me by lying on my back and sort of tensing my stomach -it was a 2 cm gap just above my belly button.

PandaEyes2 Thu 22-Feb-18 19:47:39

@Bobbybobbins thank you for your reply. I haven't had proper confirmation that is is but sounds like it could. I do abs and general core workouts but heard they can make it worse? Strange.

How big was Baby no.2? My son was 8lbs 9oz, so pretty big too for my small (small at the time) frame!

Bobbybobbins Thu 22-Feb-18 20:12:57

Yeah I was advised not to do things like sit ups or the plank for as long as possible - which was fine by me grin Doing them last week I could still feel a little bulging in the muscle but nothing like in the hospital straight after birth.

He was 8.2 but my eldest was 6.1 so it was a much bigger bump. When I look at photos now I look ridiculous!

43percentburnt Thu 22-Feb-18 20:19:49

You can lay on your back and tense - crunch style - then check for separation (or get someone to check for you).

Dozer Fri 06-Apr-18 20:58:38

There is a simple test you can do yourself - videos online on how to do this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: