Talk

Advanced search

Turn me into a muscle machine please.

(9 Posts)
Sodaface Sun 15-Oct-17 10:34:56

I started the gym 10 weeks ago and I’ve lost 16lbs. So now I want to focus on my main goal which is building muscle and becoming a bikini competitor —god I can’t believe I just said that I won’t even put a full costume on—

Anyway the gym has no personal trainers so I’ve idea where I need to start. Can anyone on here help me??

I know it takes hard work & time so am under no illusions!

Sodaface Sun 15-Oct-17 13:10:38

I should add that am still about 20lbs over my ideal target.

Sodaface Sun 15-Oct-17 18:07:52

Anyone?

isthistoonosy Wed 18-Oct-17 10:16:31

There is a thread in the exercise section for people that lift weights, might be worth posting there for some advice.

I only just started and am doing 5 x 5 stronger lifts which seems like a good starting point if you want to get strong but guess the bikini stuff would be more about how you look than that so not sure if it is any good for you.

Strongbeatsskinny Wed 18-Oct-17 20:09:46

To be a bikini competitor you need to get really lean you could always find another gym old school gyms are the best and you’ll find plenty of coaches and competitors in them.

Sodaface Wed 18-Oct-17 22:17:58

Thanks for the replies, I’d forgotten about this thread.

I’ll take a look around now and see if anyone else has posted on this before.

That’s a great idea about the old school gyms. I know there’s one in the next town over I’ll look it up on FB. I suppose I should probably just stick with cardio & weight loss at the min though then build muscle?!?

JustGettingStarted Wed 18-Oct-17 22:22:29

To start, something like 5x5 is good. It's literally just building up a good foundation. By the time you're competing, you'll be getting into the accessory lifts (isolating specific muscles) and you'll be tweaking your diet to get the lean definition.... That's down the road a ways.

Strong Lifts 5x5 or Starting Strength will both teach you how to do the basic compound lifts. You can make great progress with them.

Another good book/program for beginners that will take you to intermediate/advanced is Strong Curves. That's written specifically for women with an emphasis on building the booty.

Any will work.

Strongbeatsskinny Thu 19-Oct-17 11:49:07

Old school gyms are everywhere and not all will be on Fb which isn’t where you would look for them give me an area/ town and I’ll probably be able to point you in the right direction.

I do compete so can point you in the right direction of a coach but I won’t give advice over the internet regarding any dietary requirements or training. The only thing I’ll say is get lifting heavy now cardio has its place for fitness but lifting is a main priority for building muscle.

JustGettingStarted Thu 19-Oct-17 12:05:18

When I travel I sometimes Google "bodybuilding gyms in...." and I almost always get good results.

They're often in industrial estates or, up north, old Mills converted to commercial use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now