Talk

Advanced search

Forums

(47 Posts)
Lazyi Sun 13-Aug-17 20:54:27

Hi there, can anyone recommend a weight lifting forum? I like this, but there's not enough traffic for me to browse much. Really appreciate any suggestions!

MaidOfStars Mon 14-Aug-17 17:47:04

MFP have forums with a fair few lifters hanging around to offer advice.

When I Google a weightlifting question, I always seem to get a hit on the forum at bodybuilding.com

I don't like that this topic has it's own forum space. It's not popular enough to get much traffic.

Strongbeatsskinny Tue 15-Aug-17 22:01:30

I don't think many ladies lift heavy weights they are afraid of getting bulky lol

MaidOfStars Wed 16-Aug-17 11:07:11

I don't think many ladies lift heavy weights they are afraid of getting bulky lol

I always find this astonishing, on this website particularly.

Take a look around chat/AIBU and there are hundreds of women very accurately dissecting the differential effects of testosterone on male and female bodies and using those conclusions, again quite correctly IMO, to argue that males and females should not compete against each other in sport.

Strongbeatsskinny Wed 16-Aug-17 14:31:30

MAID I said the above in Jest 🙄 And you sound like your trying to have a pop at me.

I have many irl that I talk Bb with and frankly find on here in particular people won't take sound advice weather it be food or sound lifting techniques.

It's not what you know it's who you know 99% of the time my times money and nothing in life that's any good if free.

MaidOfStars Wed 16-Aug-17 14:39:15

MAID I said the above in Jest
I know.

And you sound like your trying to have a pop at me
No. I was sharing an irony regarding misconceptions about weight lifting compared with views very prevalent elsewhere on this site.

Lazyi Wed 16-Aug-17 19:15:45

Hi there, thanks, I will check out mfp and bodybuilding.com.

I know this forum isn't particularly well used, hence why I was after some other suggestions.
Thanks!

MaidOfStars Wed 16-Aug-17 19:30:29

I've been wondering whether whispers we should just have our own thread in the main exercise bit...

MaidOfStars Wed 16-Aug-17 19:33:25

What are you working on at the moment, Lazyi?

I am trying to work through my newbie plateau (well, maybe not a plateau but definitely a tail). Today, I got a pull up bar delivered so I'm excited to get home and unwrap. I've been trying to nail them for a while.

Lazyi Thu 17-Aug-17 10:46:40

Hello!

Various things.. always working on squats and deadlifts. I am trying out front squats at the moment.

I have been working on my pull ups too for a long time. My pb is 6, but I am practicing doing lots of reps, so I will do 3 pull ups, then practice other things for a minute, do three pull ups etc. 10x.

I'd love a pull up bar, and have a birthday on the way, so will be interested what you have. It needs to not pull the house down!

MrJohnsonAteMyCustard Thu 17-Aug-17 15:58:46

It'd be great if this forum was a bit better utilised. Maybe some women don't realise it's here?

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 16:10:17

For info, I work with a trainer)

Deadlifts are my favourite smile

I rarely barbell squat. My form with the barbell wasn't brilliant when we started (my pelvis tilts under) and he switched me to split squats. I am up to a 20kg vest and carrying a 12kg kettlebell (49kg bodyweight). I really enjoy them. Might make more of an effort with the barbell, now that my core is stronger and I can hold my back in better shape.

I can do 6 chin ups and a few pull ups with neutral grip. It's the overhand grip that I can't manage. We work on gym rings, so my hands start neutral at the bottom then turn to overhand grip at the top. I can do the first one with the jump boost grin then a second but only if I lower only halfway down wink So we do mostly negatives with legs raised, my trainer assisting my upwards pull.

My home bar is built and I tried a few last night. But my arms were wrecked from Tuesday morning so it hurt too much!

NC4now Thu 17-Aug-17 16:13:57

I didn't know this board existed! I lift weights with a trainer. I'm not dead strong but I'm getting there.
PB leg press of 200kg this morning, followed by deadlifts. My arse is killing!

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 16:24:31

Oh god, I never do deadlifts with legs. I think I'd die. I can barely see after deadlifting grin

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 16:25:15

Is that an incline leg press? 200kg is not strong?

Mulch Thu 17-Aug-17 16:26:58

Another for bodybuilding.com has everything you need and no mention of slimming world

NC4now Thu 17-Aug-17 16:46:31

Yes, incline leg press. Is 200kg good then? I'm a bit clueless without my PT but I like it 😁
I've only just started doing deadlifts. I'm walking like John Wayne but I think I'll get into them.

NC4now Thu 17-Aug-17 16:51:02

I do split squats too. I'm hypermobile and pop the joints in my pelvis easily so they are more stable.
I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I'm impressed by your pull-ups. I'd love to be able to do that, but I'm miles off. One day....,

NamedyChangedy Thu 17-Aug-17 17:12:18

I find Bodybuilding.com very welcoming to people at all levels.

And I know some people are sceptical about Reddit, but I think subs like r/xxfitness (for women) and r/weightroom are really good - lots of very knowledgable and enthusiastic lifters.

NamedyChangedy Thu 17-Aug-17 17:16:03

Oh and @MaidOfStars I'd join in a lifting thread if there was one in Exercise.

Lazyi Thu 17-Aug-17 19:10:29

Maid, so do you do split squats with a vest and kettle bells rather than a barbell. Am I correct in thinking split squats are a bit like lunges?

I also work with a trainer (although I am coming to the end of my booked sessions soon).

Maid (and others) what can you deadlift? My pb is 85.

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 20:03:49

You don't use your rear leg in split squats. The full lift is on your front leg. The movement of your body is the same as a barbell squat, just with one leg taken out of the equation.

I can deadlift 72kg for 3X8. That's 147% my body weight. My theoretical one rep max is 89kg but not interested in chasing that, even if it's a true calculation.

Oh I love deadlifting grin

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 20:23:05

85kg is fab - is that on a barbell? I deadlift using a trapbar. The 72kg weight is with high grip. I'm working on low grip right now, so bigger range of motion, and am at 62kg.

NC4now Thu 17-Aug-17 20:45:37

Layzi I do split squats with dumbbells (I suspect MaidOfStars uses much more weight than me).

I only started deadlifts last week, so I'm working on technique. I think I did something like, 30kg haha! We all have to start somewhere, right? I'll be up in the 70s with you guys soon...

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 22:37:42

My first deadlift session was 32kg for maybe 3 x 5. Form is very important. And yes, it will ramp very quickly!

I split squat with 32kg each side. My trainer had to buy the vest because I couldn't carry a heavy enough weight with my arms grin

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 22:39:29

NC Find the Strength Level website and key in your details. It will tell you your percentile for your biology/lift weight!

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Aug-17 22:40:46

strengthlevel.com

Mulch Sat 19-Aug-17 14:14:42

Do any of you guys use a lifting belt? Currently deadlifting 60x3 but aiming to get into the 70s

RJnomore1 Sat 19-Aug-17 14:21:14

I weigh a bit more than you ladies but I'm currently deadlifting 80kg for 4x6 sets, 50kg for 30 reps

My squats are shite 65kg for 4x6 45kg for 20

Rowing 50kg and bench pressing 50kg for 4x6 sets

Strict military press 40kg and lat pull down 50kg 4x6

Haven't done much big lifting for a few months so last two or three weeks been getting into it again

Lazyi Sat 19-Aug-17 14:49:15

What is a lifting belt? How does it help?
RJ, they seem amazing weights to me... I wouldn't say 55kg for squats is shite!

What else do you guys do? I went to an hit style lbt class this morning, and a hardcore spin class. I used to do a lot of spinning, but since I have switched to more weights, I just keep this one on occasion to keep my cardio up.

MaidOfStars Sat 19-Aug-17 14:56:39

RJ 50kg x 30 deadlift - do you pause/reset at bottom or straight back up again?

Mulch I don't wear a belt (nor gloves/straps etc). My trainer is very much an advocate of your body doing the work. I have had two occasions where I've dinked my back deadlifting, and it's had me broken for a few days (and not doing any spine loading lifts for a fortnight). Both times were caused by relaxing my brace position at the top of the movement - once overarching and once wiggling my feet into a better position. I think a belt would help here, but we've worked harder on my core and on brace techniques to prevent this in future.

MaidOfStars Sat 19-Aug-17 14:58:19

Lazyi I play netball for a couple of hours a week and am currently marathon training, so running lots.

MaidOfStars Sat 19-Aug-17 15:04:57

My 'good' exercises are deadlifts, split squats, inverted rows, push press.
My 'bad' exercises are bench press/push ups, dips, pull ups, lat pulldowns.

RJnomore1 Sat 19-Aug-17 15:28:52

I like to keep it controlled maid but I don't sit the weight down or bounce it off the floor at the bottom of the lift. The power lifters with their clattering annoy me 😬

Im training for endurance with the bigger sets so straight back up works although deadlifts I need to check form all the way so not to lift with my back.

Mulch Sat 19-Aug-17 19:55:24

When your looking to increase weight do work on increasing volume at current weight then try to increase or just increase at low volume?

NC4now Sat 19-Aug-17 20:08:49

I do, yes. My trainer has me starting on 3x12 or till failure on a new weight, then increasing reps till I'm doing 3x15 then we move up a weight and back to 3 x 12, but the first couple of sets I often fail at around 10 reps.

MaidOfStars Sat 19-Aug-17 22:49:36

When I can do 3 x 10, we add weight. I'd expect to fail at around 6 on a new weight. Maybe 5 on the second set. It's not uncommon for me to only manage 4 in a third.

RJnomore1 Sat 19-Aug-17 22:51:08

I increase at about 5% a week in my current programme. Keep reps the same.

NC4now Sun 20-Aug-17 18:04:37

Does anyone do body pump? I'm fancying mixing up my cardio a bit but have never tried it. I'm always worried I'll make a tit of myself because of my weak squats.

Lazyi Sun 20-Aug-17 19:29:53

I've done body pump in the past. Lots of people won't have done squats other than in body pump, so very unlikely you would make a tit of yourself. It's lots of reps, rather than heavy weights, I do like it, as I think it's quite fun with the music.

FindoGask Sun 20-Aug-17 20:58:00

Mulch, I've started using a belt. Most powerlifters that I know use one. I only use it for squats and deadlifts, and only on my heaviest sets (and not at all on volume days). I don't use it for bench or for any accessory work.

It's actually helped my awareness of my core and to learn how to brace properly because it gives me something to brace against. But, horses for courses.

FindoGask Sun 20-Aug-17 21:08:38

Re: increasing weight - If I reach a plateau in a particular lift (as is currently happening with bench) I'll spend some time experimenting with different set and rep patterns, 5x3 or 6x4 or 3x2 depending on the percentage of my one rep max, and do a lot of volume work (at maybe 70% max). Often these are AMRAP (as many reps as possible) sets.

MsMartini Tue 22-Aug-17 15:10:22

I am a relative newbie to strength/resistance/weights but think it would be great if this was in the main exercise section - I think lots of people don't realise it is here (or think it is about weight loss) - and maybe that inadvertently reinforces the idea that weights are not for women, as someone scrolling through exercise wouldn't see anything? You lot are inspiring!

MaidOfStars Tue 22-Aug-17 15:12:34

It's actually helped my awareness of my core and to learn how to brace properly because it gives me something to brace against
I do see the value in this (despite not wearing one). When I wear my weights vest, I strap it really tightly and brace into it. Same thing.

MaidOfStars Tue 22-Aug-17 15:13:30

I'm gonna start a thread int eh main section. There are ongoing threads for other types of exercise.

MaidOfStars Tue 22-Aug-17 15:16:32

New thread here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/3013078-Weightlifting-people-here-Ongoing-chat-thread?watched=1

RJnomore1 Tue 22-Aug-17 18:49:42

I'm wary of belts as they can encourage you to lift more than you really can handle. The only thing I use is occasionally wrist straps for my strict press.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »