Talk

Advanced search

How to tone this hideous stomach of mine!! (Pic included)

(11 Posts)
Checkingusername Fri 30-Jun-17 00:17:19

Hi guys,

Firstly, can I whole heartedly apologise for the picture I have included, I have solely done this to show you exactly what I am working with, so you can base your advice on what you can see.

I personally think I've absolutely NO chance in hell of toning the above but am hoping for a miracle that there is some form of exercise I can do that will somewhat tighten the skin.

Unfortunately I've been pretty much fat for at least 17 years, always had a flabby belly but it got worse after I had my DS 3 months ago.

Please, please help me! I can't afford a tummy tuck! sad

So so sorry if I've offended anyone with the picture!

bellabelly Fri 30-Jun-17 00:19:28

I can't see a pic?

bellabelly Fri 30-Jun-17 00:20:50

If you've had a baby just 3 months ago, I think you should be kind to yourself and remember that it will take your body time to settle down after your pregnancy.

Checkingusername Fri 30-Jun-17 00:22:07

Ffs! I didn't bloody attach it.....what av idiot I am!!

MrJohnsonAteMyCustard Sun 02-Jul-17 20:15:00

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as 'toning'. There's fat loss and there's muscle building. If what you have is mainly fat, then the usual rules of diet and exercise apply to reduce fat levels, whilst at the same time firming up the muscles underneath the fat.

I'm speaking as someone with a flabby belly, by the way! I have reduced my overall fat, but the more fat I lose, the more loose skin I will have.

As bellabelly says, it may take a while for your body to return to whatever your normal is.

I know it may not help at all, but I have seen bigger and saggier bellies than yours grin And they're all ok.

Cynara Sun 02-Jul-17 20:25:04

After I had dc I found that my abdominal muscles were really weak, to the point that I couldn't sit up from lying, I had to roll onto my side and push up with my arms. The thing that helped me was an exercise wheel (I don't know how to post links, I'm sorry, but it was really cheap, about £5 from eBay). You can use it to do really small movements at first and then build up as your core strength improves. I love mine and it's made a visible difference to the appearance of my stomach and upper arms.

chaplin1409 Tue 29-Aug-17 07:07:28

My stomach looks the same as yours. I have had c sections. How is the toning going did you find any exercises that helped?

ppmf10 Thu 07-Sep-17 00:59:25

I'm in the same boat sad c section 2 months ago. Sorry I can't be more helpful! Many have told me it takes time, but eventually goes back.

MargoLovebutter Wed 31-Jan-18 11:04:23

There are some really good websites out there with tips for getting abdominal strength back post-partum. You need to take it carefully and try to make sure that the muscles come back together and that you engage all the muscles across your abdomen and not just the big ones that run down the middle. Pilates is a really good way to get started, as this helps with pelvic floor too.

Sadly, it doesn't matter how good your abs are, if they are covered in fat, you'll still look a bit flabby. I know this, because I have quite good abs, but they are covered by a layer of chub, that I am really struggling to shift (and my last baby was born nearly 16 years ago!).

NameChangeForObvsReasons Tue 13-Feb-18 19:05:34

What's an exercise wheel?

soundslikeballons Wed 14-Feb-18 21:44:59

So I was the same with the lovely Apron it's taken me 2 years, but I have honestly enjoyed every single second of the process. heres my advice!!

Starting with diet and scales, scrap those words and going on scales literally just take pictures. Download "My fitness App" for a week track all of your food and daily calories. Then set a target and cut the calories in but approx 15-20%

Just small tiny incidental changes, no big diets, no big shifts, just small things.. each meal start with the protein source and build out.. so eggs, chicken, fish, pork all high protein, get more veggies in to fill you up. You may find you need to eat more.

Drink lots more water and replace a few hot drinks with redbush tea with no milk black and de caff coffee.

Thats the calories sorted.

Then increase activity, again small changes, walk more, move more.. it's very very simple.

Calories in Vs calories out no food is good or bad calories they are all just calories and if you eat less and move more you will loose fat.

So once that's all underway join a gym if you can and if you can afford it get please get a personal trainer and work on weigh training and HIIT combinations. This will give you the hormone boost, the feeling of being strong but more importantly will start to tone and firm your muscles. The squat the deadlift and training will give you such an amazing boost.. you can't bulk as a women we don't have the testorone to bulk, the big women you see are "bodybuilders" on steriods.. the fit smooth models are doing weights and HIIT and are sometimes tiny but firm and strong.

You will start to convert fat to muscle.

The loose skin if you do this slowly and steady will tighten, I will share pictures, if I lean forwards and pinch I still have it, but its not as bad as you think it will be.

I would say give yourself a realistic 3 months to feel and see a difference.. and don’y worry if you have a bad day or bad week, that’s fine, and normal.

One thing I do is buy a pair of jean a few sizes small, that my belly hangs over and keep trying them on until they fit.

You’ve mad the first step you've asked for advice! and good luck, its a really enjoyable journey to have such a great target..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: