Talk

Advanced search

Am I eating too much fruit? Not losing weight :(

(70 Posts)
Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:24:17

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here could help me answer the question of why I'm not losing weight (and always feel hungry!).
I currently weigh 11 st (70 kgs) but ideally would like to get rid of 11 pounds. My weight seems to be stuck and fluctuates between 68-70kgs (and has been like that for at least a year). I don't feel overweight, but I used to be slimmer (before DD) and just want to feel better about my shape.
I exercise (usually a mix of HIIT, weights, some cardio, but not too much unless I go for a run) usually 3-4 times a week for about 40 mins (can only do evenings after DD goes to bed)
I don't smoke, barely ever drink alcohol (I'd say once a month), barely ever (less than once in two months) get a takeaway. I don't eat out, cook all my lunches (bar an occasional sushi from Wasabi once every fortnight) and dinners from scratch. Don't keep any sweets at home and I don't really eat any sugary snacks/fizzy drinks etc.
I would say I eat clean and healthy most of the time with an occasional treat once in a while. Yet I'm not losing weight and feel like I'm hungry all the time so feel like snacking at work (doesn't help we're not too busy at the moment, I don't do a lot of snacking when busy!).

I usually have:
Breakfast: overnight oats with chia seeds, almond/cashew/coconut milk and some berries (plus 1 Tbsp honey or agave for sweetness) or smoothie (usually banana plus some frozen fruit and almond milk) -
with homemade granola (1/3 cup). On Sat/Sun I'd have some boiled or scrambled eggs, rye bread and avo instead :D Love my eggs and avo!
Snack: carrots and houmous (about 1 heaped Tbsp so it's not like I'm pigging out!) or cucumber and cottage cheese
Lunch: usually a salad made at home: e.g. roasted sweet potato, spinach, tomatoes, avocado, some black beans, a bit of olive oil or I'll have a salad with brown rice, edamame, spinach, avo and smoked salmon with a tamari dressing. That kind of stuff.
Snack: greek yoghurt with berries and honey usually
Dinner: either some made turkey meatballs with tomato sauce and wholemeal pasta or turkey chilli with avo and brown rice or some salmon and prawn curry with mange tout and courgette etc.
Snack (I am starving after exercising): sometimes greek yoghurt with berries, sometimes banana with peanut butter, sometimes apple.

I can see from this that I might be eating too much fruit.
I also drink lots of water and green tea (no black tea and only occasionally coffee). Where am I going wrong? I'm tempted to see a nutritionist/dietitian but scared I'll spend money to hear I need to eat wholemeal rather than white carbs, no processed food, no sugar etc, which is something I already know hmm

I'd be grateful for any feedback, I'm getting sick and tired of reading stories of people who give up one thing and miraculously lose weight!

NotJanine Fri 23-Jun-17 11:30:06

You don't state the size of your portions - also, what is avo?

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:36:15

oops, avo is avocado! Sorry!
hmm, portions: less than a cup of rice, just over cup of pasta (cooked), if we're having meatballs then about 4 small meatballs and a few spoonfulls of sauce - I'm terrible at describing portion sizes but I wouldn't say they are massive!

OptimisticOllie Fri 23-Jun-17 11:42:50

You eat very healthily - I aim for your diet! Sorry I know that's not helpful but I'm intrigued to see what the comments are smile

K425 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:48:08

Fruit does tend to be quite high in sugar. Also quite "wet" - I don't find much fruit particularly satisfying because most of it is full of water. That leaves me almost as hungry, and wanting more.

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:49:03

haha, thank you Optimistic! This is where my frustration comes from, if I ate bread and cheese and chips (mmm, chips!) all the time at least I'd know why the weight's not coming off!

potatoscowls Fri 23-Jun-17 11:51:58

Maybe weigh out the things where a couple of grams makes a massive difference? (Eg chia seeds, olive oil, peanut butter) and maybe weigh out the pasta dry before you cook it, as pasta is very easy to overdo promises self macaroni cheese for lunch
All the best

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 11:52:39

Well, I 'd suggest that you try the Fit for Life\ Hay diet way of eating which is not eating heavy protein and carbs at the same meal. Also eating fruit on an empty stomach. Not as dessert or mixed into muesli etc.

So have your meatballs with a large salad and your rice with a large portion of peas, green beans etc.

I lost weight without trying when began doing the above. I did it for my health, weight loss was a fortunate by product!

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 11:53:27

I lost a stone btw!

NotJanine Fri 23-Jun-17 11:53:33

Ah I thought avo was some sort of supplement or something!

It does sound like a pretty good diet.

The only things I can think of are replacing some of the fruit with nuts/seeds and maybe having some carb-free days?

Actually, just thought what times do you eat your meals?

Bloomed Fri 23-Jun-17 11:59:07

I agree that things like avocado and nut butters can quickly add up calorie wise. I can't be left near a jar of almond butter! Have you tried logging it in something like myfitnesspal to see if you're consuming more calories than you think?

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 12:02:48

Let alone coconut and cashews and houmous, Bloomed all very high in calories. Esp. coconut which is in every effing thing now!

Heratnumber7 Fri 23-Jun-17 12:13:02

How about replacing some of your meals with protein shakes? They are quite filling, and some aren't too bad.

I'd also try cutting out some fruit and replacing it with more veg, particularly green veg.

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 12:17:35

Fruit is not fattening if you eat it on an empty stomach and or with almonds\ linseeds etc. I lost the 3 stone I needed to, doing that. Also it's full of goodness, fibre, minerals etc. esp. if it's organic.

eurochick Fri 23-Jun-17 12:23:12

It's very healthy but there are a lot of calorific foods in there. Can you try entering what you would normally eat into a calorie counter (like my fitness pal) for a week and see how you are doing?

ChainingDaisy Fri 23-Jun-17 12:26:58

Have you calorie counted it? It sounds healthy, but quite a lot and fairly high calorie foods. I'd think it's overall calories rather than the fruit tbh.

primaryboodle Fri 23-Jun-17 12:38:03

Pp ^ why would fruit be fattening if eaten on a full stomach?

(Genuine q not trying to be snarky)

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 12:41:23

Thank you for so many replies!

K425 - I think you're onto something, I'm never really satisfied after eating fruit and could happily munch on it all day! But obviously won't because sugar!

potatoscowls - I tried using a calorie counting app where I was on approx 1600 cals a day, but gave up on this because it was very difficult to make dinner and weigh and log everything and then try to estimate what the portion size was iyswim... But I never just freely dump the calorific stuff into meals. For chia, I use a Tbsp, same with olive oil (in fact most of my salads don't have any dressing at all, so the only oil is what I used for roasting the sweet potatoes for example. But maybe I should go back to tracking?

ppeatfruit I'll look into it, thanks! I used to do a similar diet which was called Montignac method where you would eat three meals a day (no snacks!) and fruit only in the morning, and you couldn't mix carbs and fats in a meal (I remember being able to eat things like a whole baked camembert with a ton of veggies or lots of chicken with veggies but no potatoes/pasta etc). I lost a lot of weight on that diet but it was unsustainable in the long run because it was quite restrictive. But I'll check out the resources you mentioned.

NotJanine thanks, I usually eat breakfast around 9am at my desk (before that I'll just have some tea or water at home but I get up at 6am and I'm usually quite hungry by the time I get to the office), then snack around 11:30, lunch at 1:30, another snack at 3pm and dinner usually around 6pm, no later than 7pm.

Bloomed I realise that (in fact I have a friend who stopped buying peanut butter because she couldn't control herself grin. I don't have that much, a Tbsp maybe? I used to have it every day with a banana or apple and stopped now as I realise how calorific it is. With avocado, I usually have half. With houmous, 1 heaped tablespoon, but again, I don't eat it every day (although I wish I could, I bloody love houmous!).

Heratnumber7 I used the protein powder once in my morning smoothies but I didn't notice any difference. Are there any protein powders you'd recommend? do you mix them with water or almond milk?

AnnaNimmity Fri 23-Jun-17 12:41:25

Can you do more cardio work? I need to run for at least 30 minutes to see any effect.

Also, I'd cut out the carbs (including the fruit) and/or try intermittent fasting? I wouldn't lose any weight if I ate 3 meals a day plus snacks like that.

pongopig Fri 23-Jun-17 12:49:45

A tablespoon of honey in your oats seems a lot to me. Do you also add it too your Greek yoghurt?

HattiesBackpack Fri 23-Jun-17 12:50:12

It sounds like you're not getting enough protein, or dairy. Have a look at the advice the British Heart Foundation give, (available online) which is good all round sensible advice.

NotJanine Fri 23-Jun-17 12:54:39

This site is very good. I'm not connected with them at all, but find they give very sensible advice, no gimmicks.

You can pay to get the weekly plans but there are lots of free resources (recipes and articles) on their site too www.fitnaturally.co.uk

SquashedInTight Fri 23-Jun-17 12:57:52

Healthy but high calorie. There is a lot of fat in your diet.

Bitchfromhell Fri 23-Jun-17 12:59:50

Your diet sounds healthy and nutritious but is likely high in calories? Which is fine if you want to maintain but to lose weight you'd need to reduce your calories, easiest way for me is reducing the carbs and sugar.
If you enjoy your lifestyle and are healthy and don't feel overweight I'd question why though? You sound like you eat well and enjoy your current lifestyle?
I know none of us are ever happy but if you're at a point in your life that you need to reduce your fruit and chia seed intake to lose a few pounds I'd wonder if it was really worth it? smile

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:02:56

Ok got it, less honey/agave, less avocado (I will miss it!)

SquashedInTight - apart from fats from avocado, where else am I going wrong? Greek yoghurt?

Passthecake30 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:03:29

Can you cut carbs at dinner?
Also look at the portion size of the"healthy fat" foods you are eating, avo, nuts etc. It's easy to convince yourself it's healthy so you can eat lots....
Plus drink lots of water, sometimes curbs the hunger pangs. Sometimes not smile

Teddy6767 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:11:19

Eating foods high in good fat isn't a problem, but you're eating a lot of calories even if it is all healthy stuff. A calorie is still a calorie whether it comes from a mars bar or a strawberry.
Count every last thing you eat on my fitness pal and I bet you'll be shocked at how many calories you're having.
When I'm losing weight I can eat whatever I want but have to stick religiously to 1450 calories per day. If I go over that at all then I maintain my weight or gain weight.

Teddy6767 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:13:29

Oh and definitely cut down on your carbs a bit. I only have one meal with carbs in it per day, and I stick to a small portion. The only fruit I have now are berries or a small amount of apple. Things like bananas are very good for you but not when you are trying to lose weight as they are full of carbs.
Try stick to green veg mainly as they are a lot less calorific and carbs than things like carrots and sweet potato

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:20:34

NotJanine thanks, I like a lot of the recipes!
I question their portion sizes though as this recipe uses a whole avocado and 200g of chickpeas! www.fitnaturally.co.uk/recipes/the-best-buddha-bowl/

Surely that's a ton of calories?

I'm going to try and up my protein intake, reduce fruit and avocado, and reduce carbs and see what happens.

So, what would be a good breakfast then?

Scrambled eggs with veggies and rye bread (or skip rye bread)?
Salad with chicken and quinoa for lunch?
No rice/pasta with dinner? Or at least reduced amounts?

Please share with me what you eat! I've been eating like this for a long time so it'll take a moment to overhaul my diet but I'm willing to try :D

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:28:24

Teddy when you say green veg what do you have in mind? Broccoli, spinach, kale, green beans? Mange tout?

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:31:49

I'll be having courgette pasta with garlic prawns and broccoli for dinner - how does that sound?

Teddy6767 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:58:39

Broccoli is a good one as it's filling but far less carby than something like sweet potato.
Things like spinach and kale can be eaten by the bucket load.
What I eat in a day:
Breakfast - protein yogurt with chia seeds and strawberries. Half an apple dipped in 1tbsp almond butter. 1 light babybel cheese.

Lunch - 1 egg, half a tin of beans, mushrooms and 1 rasher of bacon.

Snack - chocolate bar or nakd bar.

Dinner - spag Bol with spiralized courgette instead of pasta. Or chilli without any rice (the kidney beans and peppers are carby enough) or stir fry without noodles or rice but with tons of veg and protein.

Snack - options hot chocoate and a handful of nuts.

I also drink about 3 litres of water each day and only have alcohol twice a week (usually just a couple of gins and slimline tonic).

Not going to lie but I do sometimes feel a bit hungry and my diet definitely isn't perfect but it's helped me to lose 1.5 pounds per week without fail and I barely do any exercise

Teddy6767 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:58:56

Your dinner sounds spot on!

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 14:16:32

Teddy, thanks for sharing!

When you say protein yoghurt for breakfast do you mean any specific yoghurt or is it just greek yoghurt with chia and strawberries added?

And for lunch, what beans do you have?

applespearsbears Fri 23-Jun-17 14:22:10

Have you actually counted the calories in your food? It's healthy but I can see a lot of high calorie foods in there and it may just be a case of too many calories in, even if they are healthy. Have you tried my fitness pal?

Truckingalong Fri 23-Jun-17 14:25:19

Have you said how old you are? I used to be able to drop weight overnight but not since I turned about 42/3. I wouldn't lose weight on your diet - I'd put it on! Don't cut out avocado - fats are good for you. Cut right back on any carbs and eat your evening meal as early as possible - 5pm if you can manage it and then not a morsel til breakfast. Dieting is brutal!!

Truckingalong Fri 23-Jun-17 14:25:51

Oh yeah and heavy weights too. None of this cardio rubbish!!

Rioja123 Fri 23-Jun-17 14:27:58

Maybe try eating smaller dinner portions and see if that has any bearing.

Teddy6767 Fri 23-Jun-17 14:29:45

It's the individual Arla protein yogurts I have. Occasionally have full fat Greek yogurt instead but prefer the Arla ones personally.
And as for the beans it's just the half size tins of baked beans (reduced sugar and salt ones) as find they go best with the bacon, egg and mushrooms.
Other lunches I sometimes have are a salad made with spinach leaves, half an avocado, prawns, tofu, seeds and cucumber.
Or an omelette with ham, mushroom and tomato.

Achoopichu Fri 23-Jun-17 14:31:38

I'm the same weight as you at 5 6 and I am overweight - I have been low carbing for a few weeks but I have a really healthy appetite and it didn't make a difference.

But I've had a breakthrough this week by low carbing still, and calorie counting (I use my fitness pal, just for convenience). I've lost 4lb in a week and I am sooo chuffed. I feel like u can stick to it too it's not been too painful.

Your diet sounds awesomely healthy but I do think calorie counting will help

Good luck

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 23-Jun-17 14:32:26

I think more protein will help you feel less hungry - I'm totally in thrall to the Louise Parker method for the pure and simple reason that I don't ever feel hungry, which is the protein she adds into every meal.

But I'd also ask your age? Because I'm 46 and perimenopausal and NONE of my wee tricks to drop a pound here and there are working any more...

tabulahrasa Fri 23-Jun-17 14:34:31

You can do high carb and low fat and you'd lose or low carb high fat and lose weight...but you're doing carbs and fat, so unless you're going to calorie count, you do have to pick one or the other.

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 14:42:17

apples yes, I used to with an app called NutraCheck, but I found it so time consuming, especially at dinnertimes, that I gave up. I just downloaded Myfitnesspal and will start again!
trucking I use weights (4-5 kgs) and do a lot of workouts with lunges, squats, etc. Not that much cardio, more weights/bodyweight routines with some HIIT thrown in.
5 pm is when I finish work so 6pm for dinner is more manageable.
Also, I'm 35, have one DD and I'm also on the pill (so maybe some weight is water retention, who knows?)

Teddy thanks, I tried these yoghurts before but my only worry with them is added sugar and sweetener as I generally try to avoid these added to foods.
Your lunch sounds good! Do you get the prawns already cooked or fresh and cook them yourself?

Jellybean85 Fri 23-Jun-17 14:50:49

You might be under eating, especially if you work out quite hard at the gym.

Google reverse dieting, two of my friends got Into fantastic shape/ great definition with that!

Maybe try some weights at the gym? (Actual free weights not 4/5kg) doing less reps and getting in some strength work.

Get a pt to give you advice so your safe but building muscle is a great way to look toned and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn 24/7

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:53:22

Lonny could you tell me a bit more about Louise Parker? I had a look at a number of Amazon reviews of her book and they are quite mixed - I just don't want to waste money on another miracle book!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 23-Jun-17 16:02:57

Oh I know, I only bought it because a friend left a magazine at my house. I never buy women's mags for exactly those reasons! That said the 'method' book is only £10 on amazon.

There's some 'woo' stuff (which I'm doing nonetheless); 7 hours sleep (lack of sleep increases a hormone which increases weight), having time away from screens every day, being a bit more mindful.

10,000 steps a day, every day plus at least 15 mins other exercise, with a HIIT flavour/muscle sculpting.

Then three meals + 2 snacks a day, loads of recipes, all of which seem to me to be low or no carb, high protein, decent amount of good fat. Lots of oat bran for bircher or porridge, lots and lots of leaves and veg, lots of pulses. I'm really, really liking the food and have to say I'm never hungry.

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:10:14

Lonny thank you! I have bought so many of these books over the years and just don't want to be disappointed!
10,000 steps a day would mean I either need a pedometer or a fitbit, right? I might give it a try after payday :D

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 16:27:42

Primaryboodle Most fruit is semi digested anyway (think of melon as a starter) and needs to be eaten alone so that you benefit from the goodness, otherwise it rots in your gut when eaten as dessert of a normal meal (except bananas which are starchy). I used to have IBS before I began eating it on its own, I do think it needs to be combined with seeds or nuts in a smoothie though.

I make my own for breakfast they're yum!

Teddy6767 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:29:12

10,000 steps is around 5 miles. So if you can work out the distance of somewhere you could walk to and from near your house that covers 5 miles then you wouldn't need to bother with a Fitbit

BigYellowJumper Fri 23-Jun-17 16:33:58

What stands out for me is how many snacks you eat. Three meals plus three snacks a day is too much (unless they were really really low calorie snacks, or really tiny meals.)

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:40:01

Teddy - yikes! 5 miles of walking per day? Not sure when and how I could fit that in, on weekend maybe? I cycle to work and exercise 3-4 times a week (sometimes manage up to 5 times) but there is no way I could walk 5 miles every day... how do you fit that in?

BigYellowJumper - I do realise this! I think that because I have quite a lot of fruit the blood sugar levels spike up and make me more hungry? It's also boredom snacking as when I'm busy at work I'm happy to go without so many snacks.

I'm going to try and eat fewer carbs and more protein - hopefully it will fill me up!

BigYellowJumper Fri 23-Jun-17 16:42:44

I think if you're cycling to work, you don't need to walk too, although me and my husband will take a walk around the neighbourhood after dinner sometimes (not possible for everyone, I know.)

I heard that blood sugar levels spiking was a load of shite, but not sure.

Boredom snacking = NO. Do something else when you're bored instead. Go on the internet and do a map of the world quiz. Ping elastic bands at people's heads. Chew gum. When my husband stopped snacking, the weight fell off.

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:48:26

BigYellowJumper lol at pinging elastic bands at people's heads! I cannot eat gum because it bloats me (I suppose it's because of all the xylitol and other crap that's in there. But yeah, I get the message - boredom snacking is a no no. I also need to find a way to feel fuller after meals which will tie me over to the next meal.

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 16:48:46

But if you eat slowly and mindfully, (not at a screen or standing up !) really enjoying your food you eat less at normal meals, because you fill up properly and you NEED nutritious snacks .

I lost weight relatively recently with Paul Mckenna and still do his way of eating to maintain, it's brilliant , I didn't need to do extra exercise or eat anything special (apart from my healthy normal way!)

Inneedofadvice20172234 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:57:02

You eat very healthily but quite a lot - 3 meals plus 3 snacks! Try to substitute a snack for a drink - tea or low calorie squash etc

You don't actually mention drinks - remember they add to your total too - coffees for example are v calorific

Inneedofadvice20172234 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:57:20

And wine!

BeWaterMyFriend Fri 23-Jun-17 20:44:41

You diet sounds pretty great, but I am a smidge lighter than you, exercise a wee bit more, and would eat that to maintain, so you probably just need to tweak portion size as mentioned above.

But do you really want to actually lose weight, or inches? You're clearly pretty dedicated workout-wise, a decent personal trainer could probably get you a dress size smaller for example.

Interested to hear that gum bloats you, I've had random bloating episodes that I can't nail down a cause of, but I do chew a fair bit of gum so will try and track if that's the issue.

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 21:51:55

ppeatfruit what snacks would be nutritious and filling? I'm thinking cottage cheese and cucumber, almonds maybe?

inneed I don't really drink wine! Like I said, I have alcohol once a month (usually G&T) and apart from that, zero. Suffice it to say I have some Irish Cream in my cupboard leftover from xmas grin

I mainly drink water or green tea, very rarely coffee, zero black tea

bewater I want to be able to fit into smaller clothes so I guess inches! I used to have a flat stomach (not a six pack but you know, flat) and now... it's just not. The worst thing is I end up bloated and sluggish by the end of the day which really peeves me off.

I made a meal plan for next week (high protein low carb and will post soon, will be looking forward to everyone's comments!
Thanks for all the advice so far! Sometimes you need some external kick in the butt from impartial people grin

ppeatfruit Sat 24-Jun-17 09:20:19

marushka I have some macadamias and maybe an apple or figs when I'm out but at home, with cucumber or what you like, a hard boiled egg, salad, carrot sticks or grated with an olive oil, lemon juice dressing etc. tahini dip. etc.

Be careful with the black tea (don't have too many) , green tea is better because it has more antioxidants. It's weird because I lost weight when I gave up a daily coffee and tea. Like you I have a good coffee occasionally.

Marushka82 Mon 26-Jun-17 09:17:40

ppeatfruit thanks! Macadamias sound good!
I don't drink black tea at all (which means I'm saving myself all these calories from milk :D

Ok guys my food today (should fit within 1400 cals and less than 100g carbs - I'm tracking on NutraCheck).
B: 2 scrambled eggs (no butter, no milk) with red peppers and tomatoes plus a slice of toasted rye bread (the Schneiderbrot one), 150g kefir
S: cucumber and 60g low fat cottage cheese
L: smoked salmon (70g) with quarter avocado, spinach, spring onions, green beans and tenderstem broccoli and a splash of tamari, miso soup
S: 100g raspberries and 15g peanut butter
D: roasted salmon glazed with tamari and roasted aubergine (half) with tenderstem broccoli and green beans
Lots of water and green tea.
Currently clocking 1273 cals and 70.3 g carbs (acc. to other trackers I've exceeded fat for the day) - obv salmon and I wouldn't usually have salmon twice a day!
Does this look better?

ppeatfruit Mon 26-Jun-17 10:11:19

Oh sorry, silly me grin you said zero black tea and I was thinking it was like coke !!

I never count calories but we're all different. That does sound better!

Marushka82 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:20:09

No worries!
I think I tend to overeat (as evidenced by all the comments and also how I feel at the end of the day) the good things like houmous or avocado etc so weighing and calorie counting might help me get a grip on portion control. This morning I was weighing up the peanut butter and was shocked to see how little 15g was smile
Just had my lunch and I feel sated (although I'm looking forward to my snack around 3.30 of raspberries (which we picked yesterday at a farm) and peanut butter.
Currently looking at low carb lunch recipes - do any of you have your favourites?

BigYellowJumper Mon 26-Jun-17 15:10:44

We make fried tofu with peanut butter sauce. Low carb, high protein and really delicious. There are tons of recipes online.

Marushka82 Mon 26-Jun-17 15:33:11

BigYellowJumper sounds great! Is there a particular brand of tofu that doesn't fall apart when fried? I tried once and couldn't even get it cubed properly, it was just falling apart and after frying tasted like bland scrambled eggs (ugh)

BigYellowJumper Tue 27-Jun-17 02:26:21

Ah, you have to make sure it is the extra firm type. I have no idea about brands in the UK as I don't live there these days but try looking for extra firm. If it's not in the supermarket, maybe ask in an Asian supermarket if you have one? They normally have lots of types.

ppeatfruit Tue 27-Jun-17 11:19:45

Or try a Health Food shop they have lots of varieties of tofu. I love it, it soaks up flavour brilliantly so you can marinade it in tamari,garlic etc.before cooking in a stir fry or whatever. It sounds like you had the soft type which can be used with maple syrup and blended instead of cream.

Marushka82 Tue 27-Jun-17 11:23:56

ah, thank you! I'll have a look at some health or Asian stores in the area smile
Day 2 of my overhaul and I'm having:

B: Skyr natural yoghurt with milled flaxseed, chia seeds, half banana and raspberries (very weird not having honey in there!)
Snack: cucumber and cottage cheese (50g)
L: same as yesterday - smoked salmon, spinach, quarter avocado, broccoli and green beans with a dash of tamari sauce
S: kefir and raspberries
D: Madeleine Shaw's aubergine stew with cauliflower rice

Weighed myself and I'm 69kg (the carby bloat is gone grin

ppeatfruit Tue 27-Jun-17 14:03:29

Oh you'll be losng that weight in not time Good luck !

UtterlyFcked Thu 10-Aug-17 02:29:56

Replacement milks (rice, almond, etc) can be VERY high in carbs and particularly sugar. I didn't initially realise this until I started calorie counting and shock I was having 200 unnecessary calories a day in milk. I changed to red top lactose free milk (fraction of the calories and almost zero sugars) and that helped a lot.

If you are like me, sugars (like sneaky milk) make me retain water weight, could be similar for you. When I cut out the sneaky milk I think I dropped about 3lb within a week or so, and that was on a week where exercise was minimal.

elfinpre Thu 10-Aug-17 02:43:56

Is the diet you are eating now realistic and sustainable for the future at a maintenance level? Do you have lots of energy?

Find out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Increasing your daily activity levels by getting a fitness tracker and increasing your daily steps. Getting a FitBit and finding out what friends do has been a revelation - the skinnier people I know do loads of steps and don't necessarily do any formal exercise classes.

I managed calorie counting for three or four months, with good effect, but I got terribly bored and fed up. It might be that you can do it in a shorter time though as you don't have as much to lose. I am doing 5:2 now which I find much better than counting and weighing all day every day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: