Talk

Advanced search

Am I eating too much fruit? Not losing weight :(

(70 Posts)
Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:24:17

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here could help me answer the question of why I'm not losing weight (and always feel hungry!).
I currently weigh 11 st (70 kgs) but ideally would like to get rid of 11 pounds. My weight seems to be stuck and fluctuates between 68-70kgs (and has been like that for at least a year). I don't feel overweight, but I used to be slimmer (before DD) and just want to feel better about my shape.
I exercise (usually a mix of HIIT, weights, some cardio, but not too much unless I go for a run) usually 3-4 times a week for about 40 mins (can only do evenings after DD goes to bed)
I don't smoke, barely ever drink alcohol (I'd say once a month), barely ever (less than once in two months) get a takeaway. I don't eat out, cook all my lunches (bar an occasional sushi from Wasabi once every fortnight) and dinners from scratch. Don't keep any sweets at home and I don't really eat any sugary snacks/fizzy drinks etc.
I would say I eat clean and healthy most of the time with an occasional treat once in a while. Yet I'm not losing weight and feel like I'm hungry all the time so feel like snacking at work (doesn't help we're not too busy at the moment, I don't do a lot of snacking when busy!).

I usually have:
Breakfast: overnight oats with chia seeds, almond/cashew/coconut milk and some berries (plus 1 Tbsp honey or agave for sweetness) or smoothie (usually banana plus some frozen fruit and almond milk) -
with homemade granola (1/3 cup). On Sat/Sun I'd have some boiled or scrambled eggs, rye bread and avo instead :D Love my eggs and avo!
Snack: carrots and houmous (about 1 heaped Tbsp so it's not like I'm pigging out!) or cucumber and cottage cheese
Lunch: usually a salad made at home: e.g. roasted sweet potato, spinach, tomatoes, avocado, some black beans, a bit of olive oil or I'll have a salad with brown rice, edamame, spinach, avo and smoked salmon with a tamari dressing. That kind of stuff.
Snack: greek yoghurt with berries and honey usually
Dinner: either some made turkey meatballs with tomato sauce and wholemeal pasta or turkey chilli with avo and brown rice or some salmon and prawn curry with mange tout and courgette etc.
Snack (I am starving after exercising): sometimes greek yoghurt with berries, sometimes banana with peanut butter, sometimes apple.

I can see from this that I might be eating too much fruit.
I also drink lots of water and green tea (no black tea and only occasionally coffee). Where am I going wrong? I'm tempted to see a nutritionist/dietitian but scared I'll spend money to hear I need to eat wholemeal rather than white carbs, no processed food, no sugar etc, which is something I already know hmm

I'd be grateful for any feedback, I'm getting sick and tired of reading stories of people who give up one thing and miraculously lose weight!

NotJanine Fri 23-Jun-17 11:30:06

You don't state the size of your portions - also, what is avo?

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:36:15

oops, avo is avocado! Sorry!
hmm, portions: less than a cup of rice, just over cup of pasta (cooked), if we're having meatballs then about 4 small meatballs and a few spoonfulls of sauce - I'm terrible at describing portion sizes but I wouldn't say they are massive!

OptimisticOllie Fri 23-Jun-17 11:42:50

You eat very healthily - I aim for your diet! Sorry I know that's not helpful but I'm intrigued to see what the comments are smile

K425 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:48:08

Fruit does tend to be quite high in sugar. Also quite "wet" - I don't find much fruit particularly satisfying because most of it is full of water. That leaves me almost as hungry, and wanting more.

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 11:49:03

haha, thank you Optimistic! This is where my frustration comes from, if I ate bread and cheese and chips (mmm, chips!) all the time at least I'd know why the weight's not coming off!

potatoscowls Fri 23-Jun-17 11:51:58

Maybe weigh out the things where a couple of grams makes a massive difference? (Eg chia seeds, olive oil, peanut butter) and maybe weigh out the pasta dry before you cook it, as pasta is very easy to overdo promises self macaroni cheese for lunch
All the best

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 11:52:39

Well, I 'd suggest that you try the Fit for Life\ Hay diet way of eating which is not eating heavy protein and carbs at the same meal. Also eating fruit on an empty stomach. Not as dessert or mixed into muesli etc.

So have your meatballs with a large salad and your rice with a large portion of peas, green beans etc.

I lost weight without trying when began doing the above. I did it for my health, weight loss was a fortunate by product!

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 11:53:27

I lost a stone btw!

NotJanine Fri 23-Jun-17 11:53:33

Ah I thought avo was some sort of supplement or something!

It does sound like a pretty good diet.

The only things I can think of are replacing some of the fruit with nuts/seeds and maybe having some carb-free days?

Actually, just thought what times do you eat your meals?

Bloomed Fri 23-Jun-17 11:59:07

I agree that things like avocado and nut butters can quickly add up calorie wise. I can't be left near a jar of almond butter! Have you tried logging it in something like myfitnesspal to see if you're consuming more calories than you think?

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 12:02:48

Let alone coconut and cashews and houmous, Bloomed all very high in calories. Esp. coconut which is in every effing thing now!

Heratnumber7 Fri 23-Jun-17 12:13:02

How about replacing some of your meals with protein shakes? They are quite filling, and some aren't too bad.

I'd also try cutting out some fruit and replacing it with more veg, particularly green veg.

ppeatfruit Fri 23-Jun-17 12:17:35

Fruit is not fattening if you eat it on an empty stomach and or with almonds\ linseeds etc. I lost the 3 stone I needed to, doing that. Also it's full of goodness, fibre, minerals etc. esp. if it's organic.

eurochick Fri 23-Jun-17 12:23:12

It's very healthy but there are a lot of calorific foods in there. Can you try entering what you would normally eat into a calorie counter (like my fitness pal) for a week and see how you are doing?

ChainingDaisy Fri 23-Jun-17 12:26:58

Have you calorie counted it? It sounds healthy, but quite a lot and fairly high calorie foods. I'd think it's overall calories rather than the fruit tbh.

primaryboodle Fri 23-Jun-17 12:38:03

Pp ^ why would fruit be fattening if eaten on a full stomach?

(Genuine q not trying to be snarky)

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 12:41:23

Thank you for so many replies!

K425 - I think you're onto something, I'm never really satisfied after eating fruit and could happily munch on it all day! But obviously won't because sugar!

potatoscowls - I tried using a calorie counting app where I was on approx 1600 cals a day, but gave up on this because it was very difficult to make dinner and weigh and log everything and then try to estimate what the portion size was iyswim... But I never just freely dump the calorific stuff into meals. For chia, I use a Tbsp, same with olive oil (in fact most of my salads don't have any dressing at all, so the only oil is what I used for roasting the sweet potatoes for example. But maybe I should go back to tracking?

ppeatfruit I'll look into it, thanks! I used to do a similar diet which was called Montignac method where you would eat three meals a day (no snacks!) and fruit only in the morning, and you couldn't mix carbs and fats in a meal (I remember being able to eat things like a whole baked camembert with a ton of veggies or lots of chicken with veggies but no potatoes/pasta etc). I lost a lot of weight on that diet but it was unsustainable in the long run because it was quite restrictive. But I'll check out the resources you mentioned.

NotJanine thanks, I usually eat breakfast around 9am at my desk (before that I'll just have some tea or water at home but I get up at 6am and I'm usually quite hungry by the time I get to the office), then snack around 11:30, lunch at 1:30, another snack at 3pm and dinner usually around 6pm, no later than 7pm.

Bloomed I realise that (in fact I have a friend who stopped buying peanut butter because she couldn't control herself grin. I don't have that much, a Tbsp maybe? I used to have it every day with a banana or apple and stopped now as I realise how calorific it is. With avocado, I usually have half. With houmous, 1 heaped tablespoon, but again, I don't eat it every day (although I wish I could, I bloody love houmous!).

Heratnumber7 I used the protein powder once in my morning smoothies but I didn't notice any difference. Are there any protein powders you'd recommend? do you mix them with water or almond milk?

AnnaNimmity Fri 23-Jun-17 12:41:25

Can you do more cardio work? I need to run for at least 30 minutes to see any effect.

Also, I'd cut out the carbs (including the fruit) and/or try intermittent fasting? I wouldn't lose any weight if I ate 3 meals a day plus snacks like that.

pongopig Fri 23-Jun-17 12:49:45

A tablespoon of honey in your oats seems a lot to me. Do you also add it too your Greek yoghurt?

HattiesBackpack Fri 23-Jun-17 12:50:12

It sounds like you're not getting enough protein, or dairy. Have a look at the advice the British Heart Foundation give, (available online) which is good all round sensible advice.

NotJanine Fri 23-Jun-17 12:54:39

This site is very good. I'm not connected with them at all, but find they give very sensible advice, no gimmicks.

You can pay to get the weekly plans but there are lots of free resources (recipes and articles) on their site too www.fitnaturally.co.uk

SquashedInTight Fri 23-Jun-17 12:57:52

Healthy but high calorie. There is a lot of fat in your diet.

Bitchfromhell Fri 23-Jun-17 12:59:50

Your diet sounds healthy and nutritious but is likely high in calories? Which is fine if you want to maintain but to lose weight you'd need to reduce your calories, easiest way for me is reducing the carbs and sugar.
If you enjoy your lifestyle and are healthy and don't feel overweight I'd question why though? You sound like you eat well and enjoy your current lifestyle?
I know none of us are ever happy but if you're at a point in your life that you need to reduce your fruit and chia seed intake to lose a few pounds I'd wonder if it was really worth it? smile

Marushka82 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:02:56

Ok got it, less honey/agave, less avocado (I will miss it!)

SquashedInTight - apart from fats from avocado, where else am I going wrong? Greek yoghurt?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: