Talk

Advanced search

what am I aiming for

(6 Posts)
MancMum01 Fri 19-May-17 20:56:47

Hi.. I started weight training with a PT 4 weeks ago and being a target driven person, am interested to see what weights I should be doing..
My PT is cagey which is fine as he wants me to "progress" but I like to know what is standard for my age

I am 52 and very unfit so we are focusing on fixed weights for now

What are you doing for lat pull downs, legs curls and leg curls/extensions - plus pendulum squats? How about over head pushes ?

Thanks

BIWI Sat 20-May-17 22:36:05

I'm not sure there's such a thing as standard for your age!

I can see why your PT is being 'cagey'! He's trying to gauge what you can/can't do. IMO, you shouldn't just be focusing on fixed weights though - you should be doing a mixture of stuff, which should include cardio exercises as well.

Have you agreed with him what your aims/objectives are?

MancMum01 Sun 21-May-17 14:22:32

Hi BIWI

I am doing more fixed at the moment as when we started with free, the wobble factor was very high and so he wants to get me stronger before we go back to free - I do mainly weights with him and about 10 mins of HIIT at the end as I wanted him to support me develop weight skills as I can do the cardio stuff on my own ..

I am just interested to know where I am on the scale - I can judge cardio fitness averages for my age using the V02 scales - just wanted to know if doing 60kg on a pull down was awesome or pathetic!

BIWI Sun 21-May-17 15:49:20

60kg of anything is pretty awesome I think!grin

MaidOfStars Tue 23-May-17 18:24:04

MancMum
There is a website called "Strength Level" that will tell you your percentile for the weight lifted on an exercise for your age/sex.

Is 60kg anywhere near your body weight? If you do this on a lat pulldown at 60kg bodyweight, you're stronger than 87% of females your age!

MaidOfStars Tue 23-May-17 18:26:37

PS. I don't do any of the weight exercises you do, so nothing to report for comparison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now