Talk

Advanced search

Online training resources - recommendations please!

(6 Posts)
Veterinari Tue 18-Apr-17 17:17:16

Hi all, I'm wanting to start a free weights routines but unsure where to start? At the moment I have 2x2kg hand weights and a pull up bar grin I am a total newbie.

Are there any online programmes e.g fitness blender, Gillian Michaels etc that focus on weight routines? I especially want to improve my upper body and corestrength. Thank you

lampshady Tue 18-Apr-17 17:18:13

Watching with interest! Sorry to hijack with nothing useful to add.

blossomkil Tue 18-Apr-17 17:30:27

I've got an app called 5x5 StrongLifts that does the job. Pretty sure it was free, has videos to demonstrate and then you can tick off the exercises as you do them. I think it's aimed towards men (or at least people a lot stronger than me) so I'm ignoring their recommendations on how heavy and sticking with 10-20kg barbells. You can do some of them with an empty weightlifting bar, which is still quite heavy, but looks a bit feeble.

Veterinari Wed 19-Apr-17 07:01:04

No problem lamp I hijacked someone else's earlier grin

Thanks blossom I'll look into that

Veterinari Thu 20-Apr-17 23:04:05

Just bumping for the evening crowd - any recommendations appreciated!

californiaburrito Thu 20-Apr-17 23:21:49

I know you said free weights but if you are going to go down that road you'll need much more than 2x2kg hand weights. Maybe start with bodyweight to work on your form and movement patterns? (Please note, some of the biggest badasses I know do mostly bodyweight)

Nerd fitness has a good bodyweight routine to get started with. It's a good full body workout which contains most of the basic movement patterns so it will come in handy when you finally invest in your own personal power rack.

There's also byog - be your own gym or something like that but I found that it was a little more geared for people with proportionally more upper body strength than I am blessed with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now