Talk

Advanced search

Doms hhheeelllppp!!!!

(10 Posts)
Howdidthathappen1 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:01:57

Back to the gym day beforeyesterday after a 6 month break (ill health and work hell) and went 2 days on trot. I'm thinking I've massively overdone it - I'm in agony!!
My thighs obviously have zero muscle memory and I literally am in so much pain now.
Is there anything that will help??? I've googled and nothing comes up but wondered if anyone has an old wives tale wonder cure!!

FindoGask Thu 06-Apr-17 17:04:58

sorry, I have had plenty of DOMS in my time and I've never found any remedy. Just time and rest! Usually worse on the second day after exercise but then should start to ease off. Hopefully once you're into a routine you'll get it less.

RJnomore1 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:41:21

The best thing to do is work the same muscles but gently - e.g. If it's your legs go for a walk. I don't know why but it helps. There must be some science somewhere?

InglouriousBasterd Sat 08-Apr-17 20:43:15

Foam rolling helps (once you can get past the initial excruciating pain smile )

sexymuthafunker Tue 23-May-17 20:41:33

Hot bath & massage?

MaidOfStars Mon 12-Jun-17 16:22:46

I run. It hurts for a few km, then vanishes. It doesn't return with anywhere near like the same veangance.

and sitting down/getting up from the loo isn't as hard

FindoGask Tue 13-Jun-17 15:22:56

funny you should say that Maid - I tend to cycle to and from the gym unless the weather is ghastly and I find that I am more likely to get DOMS after sessions I've driven home from. I have read things about steady cardio helping prevent DOMS but I didn't know it could help after it arrives.

MaidOfStars Tue 13-Jun-17 16:13:22

Ah, when I cycle back and forth (about 5km each way), my legs don't hurt anywhere near as much. My arms/back/chest do, obviously.... grin

NameChangr678 Thu 29-Jun-17 00:14:09

I think you have to do the same sort of exercise, but obviously not as intensely. Or cardio. A light jog or something.

There's also this stuff called BCAA, apparently drinking that during a workout helps with DOMS.

BillieRuffian Mon 14-Aug-17 16:21:13

The one thing I find really helps is soaking my feet or having a bath with Epsom Salts. They are quite cheap. I picked up 1kg bag from B&M for about £2. It's meant to help with the recovery time, unfortunately after 6 months off you will suffer, but the more you get in the gym the better they will become but don't rush it, as recovery is just as important as going.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: