Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have no idea what I'm doing

(5 Posts)
GodILoveADaquiri Sun 26-Feb-17 19:02:55

Hi everyone, I was just wondering whether anyone can help me on something that is a complete mind boggler for me!
I go to the gym 2/3 times a week when I can, and I'm pretty together with the excercises that I need to do to accomplish my goals, I also eat healthy in addition.
I want to add in some protein bar brownies or some creatine etc but I have no idea what I'm looking for - as in, I'm not sure what creatine actually does! So I need advice please on what sort of supplements I should take.

I hope I've not been too vague! I weigh 9st and I'm average height so I just want to tone up before my friends wedding (bridesmaid) and just because it would make me feel better to be honest!

Thank you!

MaidOfStars Mon 27-Feb-17 17:35:06

Creatine is an energy supplement - it should help you in high-intensity, work/rest activities.

Boosting protein intake with bars etc will help you repair and build muscle in strength training programmes (although increasing protein intake is generally a good idea for most training diets).

I supplement protein with whey and protein bars. I've never used creatine though.

FindoGask Tue 28-Feb-17 07:31:01

Creatine (creatine phosphate) is one of the most widely used supplements there is. It's also pretty much the most well researched and has been shown to have benefit, though some people are non-responders. Its mechanism is complicated but basically it helps the process of energy transfer in cells by donating one of its phosphate groups to another molecule which is a form of energy currency.

If you want to try supplementing with it you don't need to buy fancy stuff, it's very cheap to come buy. I think I bought a 2 kilo bag of unflavoured creatine powder for about £8. I take two small scoops (the bag comes with a scoop) which is about 5 g per day. Doesn't matter when you take it. Some people do a 'loading dose' for a couple of weeks at first to saturate their muscles but other people think your body can only absorb so much at a time so it's pointless. Basically your call.

I have noticed a difference with it, quite a small one but it's there. I am knocking on a bit and I feel like I need all the help I can get when it comes to recovery between sessions - that for me is the main driver of how much progress I make.

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Feb-17 11:42:02

Far better response than mine, Findo!

OP, I realise I made creatine sound a bit like caffeine or similar. Findo has explained more fully that creatine supports the storing of energy in your muscles.

FindoGask Tue 28-Feb-17 18:18:35

ha, thanks! More rambly, maybe. I'm sure someone will be along to tell us we're both talking baws!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now