Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weight bearing exercise for 40 yr old novice hoping to prevent arthritis?

(5 Posts)
doubleristretto Thu 19-Jan-17 13:13:25

I'm going to be 40 very shortly and need to get my body in order. I'm slightly overweight which I need to address but I really want to get strong and build healthy bones before menopause. I've got some light hand weights (up to 4kg) and wrist weights and I've been looking online but I really don't know where to start. I'm very keen to avoid doing it wrongly and injuring myself! Thank you for your help flowers

MaidOfStars Thu 26-Jan-17 15:33:21

I was in a similar position six months ago. My cardio fitness was good but I had a few pounds to lose (although a healthy BMI, just a bit wobbly) and wanted to feel strong. I found a personal trainer and started lifting free weights - the change it's making to my body feels amazing. Would that be an option for you?

MaidOfStars Thu 26-Jan-17 15:34:43

And without sounding like a dick, 4kg hand weights aren't going to do much for you in terms of building strength and improving bone density. You should start thinking about lifting heavy.

doubleristretto Mon 06-Feb-17 22:18:27

Thank you, Stars, I'll look into it. I've always been put off a personal trainer, thinking it would be selfish to spend that sort of money on myself but perhaps the time has come for a rethink.

MaidOfStars Mon 06-Feb-17 22:35:22

Oh, it's completely remodelled my shape and strength!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now