Talk

Advanced search

COUNT Calories Yes/No??? [smile]

(15 Posts)
mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 19:03:00

Guys I'm looking for tips on how to diet to lose weight

Should I count calories? If not what should I do?

unreasonableRus Sun 15-Jan-17 19:15:10

I had success with two approaches, but it takes more focus than I have.

Eat seven portions of veg every day, preferable raw. I weighed out 700g broccoli, carrot, spinach, avocado, peppers cucumber etc. This meant I was less hungry and ate less overall.

Cut carbs, increase fat.

I can't count and go without, it sends me into a tail spin. It has to be something positive rather than something negative.

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 19:53:33

interesting....

so once you lost the weight did you continue eating raw or do we have to stick with the same raw diet?

does it cause gas?

mumznet Sun 15-Jan-17 19:54:10

i meant can we go back to normal diet afterwards...cooked foods

SparkleShinyGlitter Sun 15-Jan-17 20:09:14

I think calorie counting is always good to start with

Download my fitness pal and log and track your calories it's a good guide and you soon see how quick calories add up during the day. It can be eye opening

Then once you've lost the weight you can stop counting as you should know what a portion of x, y, z actually is and how many calories roughly.

I have 2 stone baby weight to lose ( DD was born last August) and I started on the 1 st of Jan and I haven't cut any any food I have carbs/fat etc and I've lost 5lb so far so it's working for me

picklemepopcorn Mon 16-Jan-17 08:11:03

Basically, if I want to keep weight off or continue to lose, it has to be the most important thing in my life. As soon as I allow it to slip down the priorities list, I relapse. So I lost 2.5 stone about three or four years ago, plateaued for a while due to eating normal food at a wedding, kept it off for ages, but a stressful ongoing situation and an acutely stressful recent situation mean I am now back to where I was. It creeps on when I am stressed, piles on when I am very stressed.

Not much help to you, I'm afraid. But I do know that doing something positive works better for me than negative. Logging is good, with myfitpal- I forgot to say I did that with my veg feast as well. I made blends with the veg, snacked on it, didn't give me gastric problems, but I eat a lot of veg anyway.

wetotter Mon 16-Jan-17 08:18:06

Could you clarify - because you've posted in the 'weights' topic (as in exercise) not in any of the many weight-loss/chat/calorie counting/low carb/5:2 etc topics.

Do you mean that you train with weights, and if so could you post more about your routine and aim (as that could make quite a difference to dietary advice to support that)

There's usually more traffic in 'weight loss chat' so if you do not use weights, you might want to consider reporting your post to MNHQ and asking them to move it.

mumznet Mon 16-Jan-17 11:32:09

hmmm
seems I have posted in wrong section then
but thanks for your replies everyone

I'm only talking about weight as in my body weight (not exercise)

thanks

mumznet Mon 16-Jan-17 11:35:41

@wetotter I cannot find any section called 'weightlosschat'

where is that section??
thanks

mumznet Mon 16-Jan-17 11:38:25

i found it
thanks

picklemepopcorn Mon 16-Jan-17 13:29:04

I'm laughing at us with our excess weight standing in the room with all the body builders...!

mumznet Thu 19-Jan-17 13:19:21

hahaha true it makes us look silly
there are few more threads here on weight loss too!

winterwinter Wed 30-Aug-17 18:35:31

counting calories is the ONLY way I have ever been able to lose weight. download an app like myfitnesspal if you have a smart phone/tablet, it makes it so much easier. also make sure you plan ahead a few days so you don't get caught out.

PotatoesGunnaPotate Mon 18-Dec-17 09:43:36

I count calories. My fitness pal is a great app to count calories!

mummylizadiet Tue 20-Feb-18 00:54:42

Yes count calories and burn off more than you eat
Use a Fitbit and count steps and calories
You will loose weight and you will get to eat all the foods you like

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: