Talk

Advanced search

If I can't ask you lot, who can I ask ...embarrassing weights question:-(

(9 Posts)
Florabelle Fri 02-Dec-16 21:52:12

Hi everyone. Female, over 40. Been getting really into lifting after a 3 year break from any serious excercise. Male PT in a busy gym 3 times a week for last 2 months. Surprised myself by how much I've started to love the weights component. Gone from 65kg to 60kg body weight and feel so much better - happy, full of energy and look forward to seeing what I'm capable of achieving each session.
The problem is that today and on Monday I peed myself a bit - wear black workout leggings so wasn't really obvious I don't think. On Monday when I was deadlifting and doing squats etc but today I was bench pressing and afterwards sitting on bench and had to wipe the bench before anyone noticed. I stupidly didn't say anything to my PT out of embarrassment.
Now I'm dreading it happening again. I was lifting heaviest I've ever done both days, so don't know if that's what has tipped me over the edge? I've had a rubbish cold/bug this week and feel like I might have a mild UTI so not sure if that's a factor?
I can't be the only person to have ever had this issue?! Happy to do whatever might help, as really want to keep doing heavier weights....Has anyone any advice or experience?? No biological kids if that's relevant. I'm not concentrating on my lifts properly, as I'm now just trying (unsuccessfully) not to pee!

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 04-Dec-16 12:01:57

Have you experienced that at other times, like when you sneeze for example?

You might need to strengthen your pelvic floor a bit.

Worth checking with a GP as well re the UTI!

Florabelle Sun 04-Dec-16 12:22:43

Thanks for responding. No, never had any issues before. Can run, jump on trampoline and sneeze with no issues at all. Just this very specific issue....

Potentialmadcatlady Sun 04-Dec-16 12:28:16

Similar age..similar weight...lifting the heaviest weights I have ever lifted at min..so very similar situ.. I pee right before a PT session so that helps..PT and me joke about it all the time- bodily functions etc . I sweat a LOT so it often looks like I have peed myself even though I haven't so I carry a towel but best piece of advice I can give you is tell PT and believe me he will have seen it all before and much much worse!

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 04-Dec-16 13:33:52

If it's just while lifting then I would definitely tell your PT (or your GP if you feel more comfortable).

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Thu 08-Dec-16 09:00:00

Just saw this OP
www.livestrong.com/article/1012528-pee-little-work-out-too/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1207_weds_ed_f

Florabelle Thu 15-Dec-16 11:49:23

Quick update in case it helps anyone else in future...Went to Dr and got antibiotics as it was a UTI. Back lifting at same level, with no issues, so just beware if you get a UTI !

Whyhellodaffodil Thu 29-Dec-16 10:53:17

Hi flora Just wanted to say thank you for coming back to update - it spurred me to go to the doctors! I thought I might have a uti (constantly on the loo!) but it was your post and the thought of going to the gym and wetting myself which forced me to go to the docs - Got some antibiotics now! Hope you're all sorted and back to the weights nowsmile

Florabelle Thu 29-Dec-16 18:54:27

Glad I spurred you into action! I'm back lifting, and still loving it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now