Talk

Advanced search

could anyone help me choose between these strength programmes please?

(5 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Mon 09-May-16 22:01:35

Hi, I have access to several different strength programs byt am at a loss as to which to choose. I am aiming to lose a couple of stone and at the same time get the currently hidden muscles a bit more shapely and summer ready. I've got these to look at-
Body by you-mark Lauren. Same writer as yayog, written with women in mind. Bodyweight progressive strength training 3x weekly, push pull squat bend movements. The tops of my arms are a concern and I want them to have that nice curve at the back. I don't know if there is enough range of arm exercises in this book?

Body doctor book - pt apparently trained loads of slebs and footballers. Very thorough with dumbells but full programme takes about 90min per day! I have kids and that kind of time is precious! What I like about this one though is its range of db lifting for the arms. Lifting to 20-25 reps.

Convict conditioning - progressive calisthenics. Nit sure if this is aimed at men wanting to bulk though? But seems to build reps to 50 then you move on to the next harder variation.

As I said, aim is to reduce fat (through diet) buthave some nice shape uncovered when I do.
Any advice much appreciated!

bookishandblondish Tue 17-May-16 22:03:34

About 10 years ago, a friend and I did the body doctor religiously for three weeks. Lost a dress size - possibly a bit more. I tended to do the cardio one day, weights the next rather than 3x90 mins. The chaps at the gym were really impressed.

Never heard of the rest.

IronMaggie Thu 19-May-16 14:15:37

I would NOT do the body doctor one mostly because of the time commitment. But also, as you get stronger, you'll want heavier dumbells right? That might make it hard to do from home, unless you're investing in smart kit as well?

I'm a fan of bodyweight training - both the body by you and convict programmes look great, and flexible too!

keeponkeepinon Sun 22-May-16 07:36:00

Hi, thanks very mucg for replying. Its definitely the time commitment that is a problem with body doctor. I've no doubt it works but then doing most anything for 90 mins a session would burn a lot of calories. I might do it for 6 weeks as a kick starter but then move on. I hate cardio its so boring and I probably won't keep it up for long.
I am going to take a look at the progressive calisthenics programme. One of the other things about body doctor is the need to have dumbbells stord in the house plus extra plates to increase the weight. I love that bodyweight stuff doesn't require any weights taking up space and looking untidy in the house.

GingerHanna Sun 08-Jan-17 07:17:08

Please do not only look at those written for women and do not write off ones which you think may bulk you up. It's a load of BS. The only way women 'bulk up' is through years of seriously hard arse training and diet management. And I mean YEARS!

Sounds like you want to burn fat and in the process have some nice lines to show through. You therefore need to focus on hetting your heart rate up and getting a sweat on. So you're looking at short rest periods, lower weights/intensiveness and higher reps. You should be able to do that in 3-4 30-45 minute session a week.

Mark Lauren had a YAYOG app which has bloody great programmes for this. My husband swears by them and they are great for adapting to you even level and getting big results in short times.

Otherwise go for his book you've mentioned and don't worry about lack of arm exercises. At this stage you want compound movements (those that use many muscles in your body) rather than isolation (those that focus on specific areas). You'll be surprised how much difference compounds make in every body area - trust me I know from my own experience as well as a ton of research. smile

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now