Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kettlebell resources for sort of beginner

(7 Posts)
Blerg Mon 25-Apr-16 08:16:38

Hello,

Had a baby 3 months ago and now keen to get fit to return to roller derby. As time is limited I've decided to focus on kettlebells.

Any recommendations for books, programmes or websites? The less thinking the better. I know technique is important and I have done some following Zuzka Light before but I will be in the gym this time - as swinging heavy weights near my children is scaring me 😄

Also my core is weak post birth and I have about 3.5 stone to lose.

Roller derby, how cool!

Could you find a kettlebell class, or get one of the gym trainers to write you a programme and check your technique?

Blerg Mon 25-Apr-16 17:38:34

Love your username! Good ideas - thank you.

RunnerOnTheRun Mon 16-May-16 22:21:35

Hi!
Hopefully you've started now but I was going to say don't do kettlebells until 12 weeks post birth! Also start with 8kg or 12kg then move up to 16+ for some moves. YouTube is your friend!

takemetomars Fri 27-May-16 09:24:06

All you really need is to kearn the hardstyle kettlebell swing. Kitty8tim, lauren brooke, Pat flyn on youtube do good videos, also Neghar Foonooni. The swing is a ballistic movement so great for conditioning and fat loss. Technique is very important. Don't use too light a weight as it will impede your progress.

RJnomore1 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:39:12

Watch valery federenko or Abigail Johnstone on YouTube for technique

Careful with hard style as you can wreck your joints and/or hurt yourself with it if you get the technique wrong.

Kettlebells are my thing and I love them they're fiercely addictive. I'd love to try roller derby.

takemetomars Sat 02-Jul-16 08:19:49

Ah, the age old debate of GS versus hardstyle! I don't think that it is true that there is any more risk of injury with HS versus GS.
The important thing is to pick a style and learn the techniques.
Hard style kettlebells are my thing but I can appreciate the movements with GS. Wouldn't attempt them without some training though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now