recovering from "leg day"

(15 Posts)
starburst1979 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:19:56

Leg day yesterday and I can feel every movement today and I know it'll be worse tomorrow. I've upped my protein and fluid, any other tips??

suzannecaravaggio Sun 07-Feb-16 19:25:41

I wish I could still get doms, 25 years of lifting and nothing makes me hurt the next day any more
I really miss it

BIWI Sun 07-Feb-16 19:28:17

I don't think anything can really help, can it?! If it's really bad, take some ibuprofen. Have a bath before you go to bed.

But in a weird way I enjoy DOMS - know that I've worked hard/achieved something, even if I can barely walk!

suzannecaravaggio Sun 07-Feb-16 19:39:43

have found that doing the same movement but with less weight helps sometimes
I dont think it's really properly understood BIWI the more you train the less you get it so I guess your muscles get used to it in somewayconfused

the 'cure' is just to keep grinding away in the gym, week in week out
year after year
when you get to your 60's you will be a woman of steel grin

BIWI Sun 07-Feb-16 20:46:45

grin

I have abs of steel. Trouble is, they're buried under layers of blubber!

suzannecaravaggio Sun 07-Feb-16 21:23:10

I have steel coloured hair
(Aka grey hair)grin

starburst1979 Mon 08-Feb-16 07:42:48

Hahahaha....kept up the fluids and it's not to bad today. I tried less weight more reps but I still hurt. I'll learn to live the pain. Shoulder and back tomorrow hahaha

BIWI Mon 08-Feb-16 13:32:38

Legs day is the one I dread the most! Especially as when I get to work I have three flights of stairs (no lift) to my office!

suzannecaravaggio Mon 08-Feb-16 15:52:22

Dread?
never!
I love any lifting/strength training
doms is the icing on the cake grin

BIWI Mon 08-Feb-16 17:29:00

No I dread it. Because my trainer makes me do 40 seconds of squat jumps x 3 and then lunges up and down the gym, with weights, which make my legs hurt
grin
<moany moany moany>

suzannecaravaggio Mon 08-Feb-16 23:58:26

oooh, I couldnt do any of thoseblush
too scared of going over on my ankle, one more bad sprain and I think it would be buggered sad

I do like lunges though, but static, all the reps on one leg then switch

RJnomore1 Wed 10-Feb-16 07:57:20

We were doing 3 minutes of walking lunges last week in one of my classes, 3 sets, just body weight but my heavens I thought my legs would fall off.

Anyway active recovery to help the legs, go for a nice long walk. It sounds counterintuitive but like Suzanne's low weight reps it really works. No idea of the mechanics of it though.

suzannecaravaggio Wed 10-Feb-16 09:07:50

Here is some explanation
news.byu.edu/news/why-your-muscles-get-less-sore-you-stick-your-gym-routine

It's called the "repeated bout effect'.....you get less sore from repeated workouts.

suzannecaravaggio Wed 10-Feb-16 09:09:03

news.byu.edu/news/why-your-muscles-get-less-sore-you-stick-your-gym-routine

KatoPotato Fri 11-Nov-16 14:06:22

Old (ish) thread but I've just found this board! How exciting! I find that Spin really helps after leg day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now