Talk

Advanced search

Planking, good or bad?

(7 Posts)
Nevergoingtolearn Fri 23-Oct-15 07:57:41

I have just started 'the 30 day planking challenge' but I have read mixed things about planking and injuries caused by it, I am reasonably slim and go to the gym most days but not what I call 'fit' by any means, each evening I do a small workout, mainly stretches and a few weights and end with a bit of planking ( only on elbows at the moment ).

So is planking good or bad?

dementedpixie Fri 23-Oct-15 08:21:46

You can get planking injuries??

Nevergoingtolearn Fri 23-Oct-15 14:39:07

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3030983/The-ultra-competitive-exercise-fad-ruin-health-called-planking-suddenly-sweeping-gyms-Pilates-classes.html. I know it's the daily mail but sounds genuine?

LookingUpAtTheStars Fri 23-Oct-15 14:44:23

"I was convinced it was a warning sign of a heart attack. I didn’t to go to hospital because I didn’t want to ruin Christmas"

Being dead from a heart attack definitely wouldn't have ruined Christmas then, but a hospital visit would have? Stupidest thing I've ever heard!

Nevergoingtolearn Fri 23-Oct-15 17:36:27

grin

So I can continue to plank smile

carrie74 Tue 17-Nov-15 10:14:24

I think as long as your form is good you should be ok. I can imagine you could hurt your back if bad form though.

longdiling Tue 17-Nov-15 10:43:59

I would say she was injured by her ego and the attitude of her pilates teacher. We are taught in pilates to 'lose the ego' and strongly encouraged not to compare ourselves to others. Competitions like that planking one are bound to end in injury - you need to be listening to your own body not watching what other people's are doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now