Talk

Advanced search

How big is enough to start?

(6 Posts)
DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Wed 05-Aug-15 22:23:39

I want to lift. I want to lift well.

I run, but I want something to go with that. I have been doing a kettlebells class a week. I think I need to lift bigger weights do I? I can manage the full class (45 mins) with an 8 or 6. Surely I can do bigger can't I?

Another idea is that DH has weights, perhaps I should look to use them everyday. Maybe for 10 minutes a day? Lift bigger for a shorter time? Is that right?

I have no idea what I am doing.

Mide7 Wed 05-Aug-15 22:44:22

I guess it depends what you want to get out of lifting and also what you have access to( equipment wise).

Personally I'd start by looking at something like the starting strength. Quick, simple and effective.

RJnomore Wed 05-Aug-15 22:48:33

I wouldn't do every day. Three times a week if it's all over body or five if you are splitting. No more. You need muscle recovery time too.

Kettlebells you just need to push up with. Get the 10 out for your next class. Maybe use it and an 8 and swap if you need to. Use 10 for swings squats and cleans to start with until you get used to it.

There's lots of good technical explanations out there about how to increase weight but really Thr basis is you just need to do it.

And of course you can do bigger grin

I absolutely love kettlebells. I've started training for pentathlons. It means I'm somewhat neglecting my barbell weights but it's great fun.

Where abouts in the country are you?

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Thu 06-Aug-15 07:43:46

I want to tone up and build muscle to help with fat loss. Am I right in thinking that building up muscle helps with that or am I imagining it? I dont want to be a bodybuilder or anything. I certainly dont want to be too muscly, but as a woman I'm sure that without supplements this wont happen anyway?

Im scared of the 10 kettlebell, but I probably could use it for some of the exercises. I will have to use a 6 for some things (triceps and a windmill thing we do - holding one arm in the air holding the weight while bending to the side all the time looking at the weight being held in the air, that is a killer for me)

I have access to barbells and dumbbells at home, but I prefer to use the dumbells. They are not the pink girly ones, they are DH's and can be far too heavy to even lift if I put too much weight on.

I'm in North Yorkshire, but very close to Co. Durham.

RJnomore Thu 06-Aug-15 08:35:56

Acht nowhere near me, I'm in Scotland.

Rushing to work sorry but no you wouldn't bulk up it's incredibly hard to do.

Don't be afraid of the bug weights. The best advice I can give is to book in for a couple of sessions with a good pt and get the technique.

Mide7 Fri 07-Aug-15 09:00:56

As RJ, you won't get "big and bulky" from lifting weights, women generally lack the testosterone to build lots of muscle. Even with higher levels of testosterone it's still not easy to build muscle unfortunately. Your right, Extra muscle will help you use more calories per day.

If you enjoy kettlebell training do more of that, if you want get stronger/ build muscle you'll need to change your program so it's less cardio based tho. Which I imagine is what your class is.

But I'd still recommend starting strength program. Get you doing some big lifts while adding weight each time. You'll build some muscle, burn a load of calories and it should help you over come your fear of big weights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now