Talk

Advanced search

Training through PMS!

(10 Posts)
Boudicea31 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:04:04

Hi everyone , does anybody have that one day during the PMS week when no matter how well you are eating and sleeping you wake up with zero energy and get puffed out just walking up the stairs? This is in addition to the foul mood! Where even putting socks on feels like too much effort and all you want to do is sleep!
I've tried training through those days and I end up having a strop and/or crying when I can't get the lift up and performance is below par due to my inner negativity and physical fatigue. This month I've decided to not train today even though I desp need to as I haven't trained for a week (due to sickness D&V last week caught from my DD). However all the science says that exercise is brilliant for PMT - do you guys agree? What do you find works for you? Do you change your schedule when lifting during PMS?

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 13-Jun-15 17:17:39

I hear you! I find my lifts less strong in the couple of days before my period too. And recently I've started to wonder (but can't see any medical reason why this would be the case) if I am more prone to injury then too. I have a recurrent shoulder problem though and there seems to be a correlation between chin-ups in the run up to my period and flare-ups of the old injury…

Anyway, I allow myself some slack on those days but I don't skip altogether. I DO find it makes an enormous differences to my ability to manage PMT overall (but I really am a bitch from hell without exercise). Sometimes I'll just stick to lifts I really like, rather than thinking about what areas I need to work. At that point, the fact of being in the gym and physical activity seems more important that sticking to a plan to build maximum muscle.

Boudicea31 Sat 13-Jun-15 17:37:30

What sort of training and what type training plan do you follow bogie? Just out of nosiness? Xx

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 13-Jun-15 17:43:29

I'm not sure I know how to answer that because I've never really followed any official training system. I have an overall goal of just being as strong as I possibly can and so by plan, I just mean working towards that. I have a strong preference for big compound moves. Deadlifts, squats, pull-ups, bench press etc are my go-to. I do the other stuff too, I just enjoy it less. I try and lift three times a week and then I run three days a week too.

How about you?

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 13-Jun-15 17:50:56

No I don't ever get a dip in the month due to Pms at all. Just looked at my training log sheets and there is a consistent progress eg gone heavier or stronger lifts recorded. Then weights upped once stronger.

Vivacia Mon 15-Jun-15 18:32:21

It's not something I've noticed either. Over-training and under-eating weaken my lifting, especially the over-training. A week off weights every now and again does me a lot of good.

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 17-Jun-15 14:26:00

Vivacia I'm the same just had over a week out of training and everything I've been doing since has been heavier weights and I'm smashing it. Coach is now saying I needed the time out which was a my choice.

sleepwhenidie Fri 26-Jun-15 23:56:43

I think often age makes a difference to PMS (mine and friends' experiences, all early 40's). Pumpkin do you mind me asking how old you are?

It's not every month but when I do get hit by PMS it takes the form of exhaustion that I can only liken to pregnancy 'hit with a brick and need to sleep' tiredness. I take the day off from exercise (I probably train 27 days a month after all), go to a cafe for coffee and cake and take a nap! smile

sleepwhenidie Fri 26-Jun-15 23:57:57

Definitely agree with a week off the weights a few times a year as well though! More than that makes re-entry very painful however....

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 27-Jun-15 13:20:41

My break was due to personal circumstances I train with weights 5 days a week some days are with double sessions involved. Also do intervals twice a week.
Age is a number I'm fit as I was in my twenties but a lot wiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now