Talk

Advanced search

losing weight and gaining muscle catch 22

(11 Posts)
Boudicea31 Fri 05-Jun-15 21:48:40

It's like getting your hair cut at the hairdressers while you're trying to grow it long! Has anyone managed to master this without the traditional tedious bulk /cut cycle?
I'd guess that Like many people on here I'd like to look athletic and muscly but also lean and not chunky! but it's hard to be consistent with diet when you are Confused between eating well but plenty to grow muscle but then feeling fat and trying to cut calories to lose chub but then struggling in the gym
And then switching up again! thigh chest and arm muscles have got biggebut I def look chunky and not toned but will switching to low calorie will stop strentgh and muscle building progress?
Has anybody had any luck with a combination type of programme to do both?! Can you have your cake (not literally!) and eat it?! If so details pls!! Thanks! ;-)

MonkeysandParrots Fri 05-Jun-15 22:24:23

Its really interesting, I've definitely built a lot of muscle in the past 4 months since I starting training but have also lost nearly 2 stone so it can be done! However, I'm still at least another 2 stone over weight so maybe it's easier when you start off as a chunk like me ;)

I don't count calories or macros, I just keep well away from processed carbs ie bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. I eat whatever vegs I like and the same with protein. I even eat ice cream and chocolate but, granted, not every day.

Works for me, sure, it's slow but it's not a diet, it's just how I eat now and that makes all the difference in my tiny brain ...

Mide7 Sat 06-Jun-15 07:21:47

If you are tracking your calories I'd go for a slight surplus. It'll be slow but you shouldn't gain as much fat.

You will lose strength when trying to lose weight. It is annoying but can minimise it by using a decent lifting programme and keeping your protein high.

chiruri Sat 06-Jun-15 08:47:29

I definitely lean down if I cut carbs and sugar, and get most of my calories from protein and fats.
I know what you mean, though. I'm technically 'overweight' (BMI is 26) but I'm comfortably a size 10 so I don't know if I should be focussing on losing more fat or just happily build muscle (which is way more fun). I'd like to get my body fat percentage measured but the machines are notoriously inaccurate, so I'd probably need to find someone to do the calliper method.

Boudicea31 Sat 06-Jun-15 16:08:46

Thanks everyone you've all said my thoughts exactly so hopefully
Onnthe right track, focussing on keeping protein high and lowish carb -trying to stay around the 70-80h a day mark. Calories I am doing a slight deficit (1500) but not low enough to lack energy. Also doing more WOD style lifting and cardio for a couple weeks rather than the traditional heavy lift type programme that I notmaly follow (and love!) Churii I have calipers but I've not been able to get consistent measurements I vary between 21% and 26% at every reading! I'm 5'7 and weigh 10st 5 if that gives a rough gauge. I have a slim waist but proper chunky thighs which are muscly underneath but with a thick layer of stubborn fat over them! Someone on here said their PTI takes measurements from 12 places - that's a great idea and also objective!! monkeys and parrots congrats on your 2st weight loss! I habdbg been able to lose 7lb with my will power so 2st is a brilliant achievement! Xx

chiruri Sat 06-Jun-15 17:42:45

That sounds like a good plan, although if you're still WODing you might find 1500 calories too low! I suppose you can gauge your energy levels and adjust as needed.
I'm 11st 11lb and 5'6! I have very muscular thighs, bum and shoulders. There's still a reasonable fat layer over my stomach and upper arms but much less than my actual weight would suggest.

Littlepumpkinpie Tue 09-Jun-15 10:31:00

Why is it objective to have body fat read by calipers from 12 points of my body BOUDICEA? My coach does this to see where we are at ? I have plans to hut that stage in a sparkly bikini very soon I'm now on a competition prep

DarkHeart Thu 11-Jun-15 16:26:58

I think Boudicea means it is objective as in it gives the most accurate all over body reading as it is from so many different areas and therefore is the best way to take a body fat reading?

Boudicea31 Sat 13-Jun-15 15:06:59

Hello pumpkin
Dark heart is right, I think you may have missed my meaning I was trying to say 12 point reading done by your trains is much more objective I.e impartial than doing it yourself when you subconsciously influence the readings in way you hold the calipers etc. I meant impartial /independent as opposed to objective 'I object' xxx

NRomanoff Tue 23-Jun-15 18:59:31

I have lost 9 stone since I started lifting. But when I got closer to my goal fat levels it was harder. I cycle my diet. So for 8-12 weeks I have a slight calorie surplus to gain muscle,, then slowly reduce calories for a few weeks. I never diet more than 16 weeks. If I am coming up to an event, like body power and want to lose a bit more, I go to my Maintenon calories for 3/4 weeks and then reduce again.

It means fat has come off slower, but I don't have any sagging skin, even on my stomach (I have 2 kids) and i seem to maintain strength and lose the fat. Just starting week 2 of a week deficit.

Boudicea31 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:05:21

Hey Normanoff that's really impressive - 9 stone and to have done it without and side effects in your skin etc. personally I have found that only dieting or norovirus (!) gets and weight off and I just accept that there won't be any muscle gains whilst I am dieting. Can't wait to get back to a gain cycle though of eating what my body needs to get strong x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now