Talk

Advanced search

HELP. Lost lean mass, gained back some fat

(7 Posts)
PoppyShakespeare Sat 23-May-15 09:39:27

. . . thanks to overactive thyroid, poor me! Am not impressed by this unintentional body recomposition - not overweight but I feel as though I must look it because fat just seems to take up so so so so so much more space under the skin. And it's kind of wobbly. <cries> But I have gained 6kg or about a stone since starting the antithyroids - the weight gain seems to have stopped at least but it is almost entirely fat. This is (barring actual life or death stuff) the worst thing that could happen to me!

How can I start to get my muscles back, of which lost about 2kg? I still feel quite shit physically so I won't be pushing myself very hard yet (apparently it takes about a year/eighteen months to get fully well). Is there any point starting with very light weights?

PoppyShakespeare Sat 23-May-15 16:22:41

NOBODY CARES grin

Boudicea31 Sat 23-May-15 22:23:19

I think because it's medical related no one sure what to advise! Firstly what an annoying set back for you and I hope the medication gets it all sorted soon. I would deffo keep up the exercise within realms that you're comfirtable with whether that's body weight /resistance stuff of lightweight or a bit of cardio. It will keep your muscle memory and help regulate everything. Don't rush it though abd def don't beat yourself up about gaining weight it's not your fault!! Xxx

Boudicea31 Sat 23-May-15 22:25:10

Ps muscles that have been worked previously come back much quicker than muscles that have never been worked so you def won't lose your hard earned gainz!! Xx

suzannecanthecan Sat 23-May-15 22:48:37

what about some body weight stuff at home Poppy?
no need to go hell for leather, just a few sets of 10 reps, say squats or lunges, then see how you feel the next few days, build up gradually and adjust according to how well you feel?

PoppyShakespeare Sun 24-May-15 00:32:26

thank you both

I never even thought of those things, a great starting point, thanks

PoppyShakespeare Thu 11-Jun-15 14:45:08

have eased self into a nice gentle routine of chest and triceps one day, then back and biceps the next and legs, shoulders and shrugs the day after that

obviously have already injured the trapezius part of self by playing on the monkey bars on a rest day, my body and brain are so incompatible I don't know how they coexist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now