Talk

Advanced search

Your favourite lift and why?

(14 Posts)
Bexicles Thu 21-May-15 19:28:20

My favourite lift is without doubt the deadlift, I love the way it has developed my overall strength and the definition I now have across my back. I also find that I have a better nights sleep after I have deadlifted during the day.

What is your favourite lift and why?

Boudicea31 Fri 22-May-15 21:26:54

I love front and bsck squat as feel safer doing thrm than back injury prone deadlift. However I'm
Most intrigued and excited by the overhead squat and Olympic lifts - I can't wait to be able to learn them they look super technical though and I have very poor brain-body coordination!

ElephantMug Fri 22-May-15 21:53:53

I'm torn between the deadlift and back squat. Because they're the only ones I know how to do, unless you count Body Pump versions of everything else! I do love a squat. I feel strong. And my bum looks the best it ever has. Yay.

crossparsley Fri 22-May-15 22:11:13

Deadlift. Shallow reason: biggest numbers! Slightly less shallow: when you get the setup right, at the heavier end it feels like a struggle right at the start and then it feels so natural, like dancing or singing. The downside is, as mentioned it's a serious strain and if I've been ill or missed training for other reasons and it's got weaker it's the most difficult one psychologically to get back into.

IronMaggie Sat 23-May-15 09:23:31

I'd vote for deadlifts too. It's taken me a while to get my form right so I can do them without lower back pain for the next few days, but I'm now able to lift more and heavier.

Not a lift, but also pull ups for the sheer challenge of them. I went from being able to do 10+ easily to struggling with 3/4 when I slacked off with my training. So for me they're a great general benchmarking tool.

suzannecanthecan Sat 23-May-15 09:26:34

EZ bar close grip bench press

NRomanoff Mon 25-May-15 18:39:34

Its definitely dead lifts for me. Make me feel like a bad ass. Back squats are a close second, though!

chiruri Mon 25-May-15 20:46:34

The clean, definitely. It's a wonderful whole body movement, the technique is just tricky enough to feel super satisfying when you get it right, and there's something so pleasing about being able to lift virtually your whole body weight onto your shoulders.

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 27-May-15 12:43:28

Not got a favourite lift but do love leg day's

Kumiho Wed 27-May-15 16:29:30

Overhead press. I think I like that I'm stood upright and I feel more stable, less likely to topple. I like the simplicity but also the core work. I also like that it's progressing fast, so yeah, just numbers.

Vivacia Thu 28-May-15 09:54:55

Great question.

For me it's the squat - it works to my strengths as my legs are stronger than my arms and I have good flexibility so my form looks good. I also get to put the big plates on, which doesn't happen with the bench press or OHP.

Dead lifts are a close second - they improve my sleep and the numbers look good.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 11-Jun-15 22:00:28

For me it's straight leg deadlifts - I love walking into a gym, setting the bar up with a ton of weight and then pulling it off the floor. Pull ups are fun too because they remind me of how far I have come.

brainwashed Mon 22-Jun-15 09:21:04

Back squats definitely... I can go heavy and low grin

AggressiveBunting Mon 22-Jun-15 14:01:08

Shoulder to overhead or bench press. I don't really know why but whenever it's scheduled I think "oh goody" . Basically, I much prefer upper body to lower body.

Hate front squats cos keeping my elbows up makes my fingers hurt [wimp] and also I still have to use a heel elevation [tin man]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now