Talk

Advanced search

Deadlift advice?!

(7 Posts)
Boudicea31 Wed 22-Apr-15 23:26:11

Hi everyone chuffed to find a weightlifting forum on MN! Took up free weights 3-4 months ago (husband bough set for our garage) and now I'm addicted! Mostly do compound movements 3x pw with 1-2pw cardio (skipping running etc) all my lifts have progressed well so far back squat up to 80kg, front squat 50, shoulder press 30kg, alnost one proper chin up! However I have injured my lower back twice (and out of action for 2 weeks each!) i concentrated on trying to lift with legs/hips not back but both times injured myself putting weight back Back Down?!! It seems to hang off my back and clangs at the bottoms which jars my back terribly. Can anyone recommend any good tips for deadlift and tips for strengthening not straining my back muscles?!! (We have barbell kettle bells and trx) Thanks so much! smile

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 23-Apr-15 00:54:30

Hi there. I'm not sure how much help I will be but I love deadlifts and although they are hard to get right, they are one of the best exercises when done properly. First question, are you talking about straight or bent leg DLs? Assuming bent, I found when starting out that the best way to deadlift safely was to use a trap bar. I know this might not be helpful advice because it means buying a new bit of kit but it really gives you confidence in form because you aren't having to drag the bar up your shins which can feel kind of awkward and instead you position yourself in the bar.

I still use the trap bar now some days and I can deadlift more than twice my own weight. Have a look online and see what you think but you could probably pick up a second hand one for a reasonable price.

shewept Thu 23-Apr-15 07:39:33

Do you have mirrors to check your form? Or can you film yourself? I found getting the form in deadlifts, quite a challenge. Actually being able to she yourself do the lift may help improve your form.

I train my back as part of my training programme. Including lower back, to improve overall strength. What I do depends on My programme at the time. Do you train your back at all?

Littlepumpkinpie Thu 23-Apr-15 17:15:04

Sounds like you need to lower the weight and concentrate on form or spend a good few months strengthening your back and lower lats first.

Boudicea31 Thu 23-Apr-15 20:50:04

Thanks everyone all good points!! Agree need to go back and get comfortable on the lift too before trying to catch up on the weight. 'shewept' I have just started good mornings to strebgthen but don't know of any others.. I seem
To be the only person in the world who gets stuck on how to put the weight back down though? Maybe I over think it!! Xx

Galvanized Mon 27-Apr-15 20:00:12

You shouldn't take time putting the weight back down! once you've deadlifted, carefully/smoothly/quickly return it to the ground. Maybe you've injured yourself trying to lower it too gradually.

Galvanized Mon 27-Apr-15 20:01:43

Squats (eg goblet squats) are good practice for the same muscles as the deadlift.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »