Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on improving grip strength?

(14 Posts)
BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 18-Apr-15 13:46:21

Mine just isn't keeping up. I'm using wraps at the moment but in some ways I think they make the problem worse by letting my hands off the hook so to speak. It's not all the time - pull ups and chin ups are fine but my right hand fails on deadlifts all the time.

I'm doing heavy farmers walks but it isn't working as quickly as I would like. Any suggestions?

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 18-Apr-15 14:05:34

Chalk helps me grip better I know a lot of places don't allow the use of it. Buy a towel with a zip pocket and keep a chalk pouch inside no ones going to notice that your using it. The best grips are from America versa grips love mine

suzannecanthecan Sat 18-Apr-15 15:25:55

probably training your grip is going to be the best way?
or always be the one who volunteers to get the lid off the jar, undo that tight bolt etc grin

use dem skillzwink

shewept Sat 18-Apr-15 15:38:18

I had this problem and just perseverance prevailed. Not a huge fan of straps. I did use them a while a go, but found they didn't help in the long run. Have you tried one hand over, one hand under on the deadlifts?

sj73 Sat 18-Apr-15 19:34:48

I find its best when I've developed big, dry callouses on my hands! Cannot use gloves at all.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 18-Apr-15 20:49:02

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure chalk or gloves or even callouses will help me The issue isn't the bar slipping, it's literally the weight forcing my hand open because of the weight. I've tried one hand over, one under and it still fails. So I really think training is the way forward but how to do it? I agree that straps don't help in the long run but my overall strength far exceeds what my grip can manage so although I want to train my grip, I don't want to hold back my deadlift progress in the meantime. I guess, to get specific, my question is: what exercises can I do to train my grip strength?

suzannecanthecan Sat 18-Apr-15 22:56:56

I'd suggest using straps for the heavier sets where you cant complete the lift without them
but on your lighter sets dont use straps

Your grip should just naturally get stronger over time as you train

strongandlong Mon 20-Apr-15 09:56:40

suzanne's advice is good. On your sets w/o straps - hold the bar at the top of the lift for a few extra seconds.

Chalk makes a huge difference, even if slipping doesn't feel like the problem. I like liquid chalk and it's much easier to handle and less messy than powder/blocks.

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 20-Apr-15 12:17:16

Thanks Suzanne and Strong. Sounds like I just need to keep going using no straps for my warm up sets then. I like the tip to hold the bar at the top for an extra second or two. Will try that one and see how I get on.

EarSlaps Mon 20-Apr-15 22:54:45

What about single arm kettlebell swings? That will work your grip.

blueemerald Mon 20-Apr-15 23:03:59

I have the same problem as you OP. I picked up one of those grip strength trainers from Tiger on whim (they have 4 or 5 different resistances) and I think it has helped. I don't use it in the gym but while watching TV!

There's more info here

BlameItOnTheBogey Tue 21-Apr-15 02:04:43

Those look interesting blue - I might look into something like that. Could use it at my desk when I am procrastinating.

Single arm kettlebell swings is not a bad idea either but I don't think the ones at my gym go very heavy and I'm really looking for something that will challenge my grip in the same way my DLs do. But thanks for the suggestion ears. I might check out the kettlebells again.

EarSlaps Tue 21-Apr-15 23:22:56

Yes, unfortunately most gyms seem to only go up to 20kg or so. But then 100 or so of those should be pretty challenging! I only tend to use a 14kg for lots of reps with a one handed swing, but I'm only really just starting on strength.

chiruri Tue 21-Apr-15 23:27:16

Do you use a hook grip (with your thumb under your fingers rather than over)? I've found that that has got me theough a few reps I would t have achieved otherwise in the past. It takes a while to get used to but once you're accustomed to it it's brilliant for pretty much all lifts!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »