Talk

Advanced search

Anyone interested in a nutrition for lifting thread?

(18 Posts)
RJnomore Tue 14-Apr-15 22:17:48

This is where I tend to go astray..

I'm trying a new tactic of 4x 400 calorie meals a day, I could use some ideas/recipes/tips on what works for the rest of you?

I need to lose some weight but it's really about getting stronger while I do it for me, not just dieting (bleurgh)

shewept Wed 15-Apr-15 19:04:23

Hi

I am interested. It is difficult as you need to find what works. When its comes to meal timings I go completely against the usual 4/5 meals per day, eat every 2 to 3 hours.

I don't eat breakfast. I work out in a fasted state. Simply because if i eat too close to my workout, it makes me feel ill. The closest thing to breakfast is a protein shake at about 10.30am , pwo. And that's not even once a week. I have a biggish lunch usually a balance of carbs, protein, fat making sure I have lots of veg or salad.

Dinner varies. I usually stick to homemade food. Even if I fancy a burger, I do it home so its healthier.

Then I have supper about 8pm which always has some protein and carbs. Usually nut butter on crackers, or a protein brownie.

I don't count calories as such. I count macros (so calories are counted I just don't pay attention to that bit). Each day is different and I have a high carb day once a week. I find I get much better results tracking macros. I love it. But if people have problems obsessing over food its prob not the best plan to pick.

So I do 2 bigger meals and one snack. If I stop seeing results I will change it up. But it works for me. It took me a while to get it right. But I am leaning out quite a lot now. I have lost about 9 stone. But now concentrating on inches lost and body fat percentage.

RJnomore Fri 17-Apr-15 14:26:42

Hi! Sorry for the long wait to reply - been a bit chaotic round here, mil is in hospital.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself as I've just had a burger king for lunch but what I'm trying is to roughly calorie count, eat 4 400 cal high protein meals a day. I need to eat breakfast or I am unbearable and feel awful. I have mild pcos which seems to balance out with that type of eating and plenty of exercise.

I'm really interested in th macro thing; DH was talking about doing it as well.

Do you make your own protein brownies?i haven't baked for ages but Jamie Eason has some good protein cake recipes on her bodybuilding.com pages.

shewept Fri 17-Apr-15 15:17:43

Snap...I have pcos too. Its a nightmare as there is no one best way for all of us with pcos. My friend has it and is like you, needs breakfast.

I make alot of my own protein stuff. But do eat bought stuff too. I use Proteinologist cook book quite alot and there is a lot of great recipes on instagram.

I only bake if I feel like it though. So it can weeks between me doing some. Then do loads at once.

The macro thing is good. After a few weeks its gets easier as you generally know what's it what. I use my fitness pal to track. But you do need to be prepared to weigh stuff out. Although I do know people who count macros that live on pre-packaged food to make it easier. But I prefer making my own stuff for maximum nutrition.

sleepyjean69 Fri 17-Apr-15 20:58:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shewept Fri 17-Apr-15 22:04:56

Hi sleepy I usually aim for being within 10%.

There are a few online calculators that can help guide you. smile

sleepyjean69 Fri 17-Apr-15 22:57:35

shewept Sat 18-Apr-15 07:25:54

Its difficult for me to say its right, iyswim. Its slightly different to mine. Because I have pcos and I have been (under the careful view of my doctor) trying a lower carb diet. Mine aren't that much different to yours. The ratios are slightly different. It looks about correct, but we (doctor, pt and I) had to faff with it a bit.

Also I do a carb refeed once a week. Not a cheat day as it is monitored and my pt tweaks my macros across the week.

However not everyone needs refeeds or to changes them up. Most stick to the same. My fatloss stopped and refeeds kick started it again.

sleepyjean69 Sat 18-Apr-15 09:03:00

shewept Sat 18-Apr-15 15:34:55

sleepy its not problem. Carbs aren't an issue for me. I can't eat bread, pasta or rice so the carbs don't add up that quickly for me. Unless I decide to have a protein bar. So 100g carbs is more than enough for me.

I am no expert on food as a whole. I know what suits me and what works for me. But if I can help at all, let me know.

Also make sure you are getting plenty of fibre. I aim for about 20-35g a day. Again with my digestive issues, this seems to be the right amount for me.

sleepwhenidie Tue 21-Apr-15 20:23:47

Just a quick mention about PCOS, I am a health coach, working particularly in the area of helping people to stop yoyo dieting/emotional or disordered eating. I seem to have a lot of clients with PCOS and it may just be coincidence but they are all super sensitive to sugar and to dairy. It may be something to be aware of and see what difference elimination makes for you, whether on terms of health, digestion, energy or weight loss.

RJnomore Tue 21-Apr-15 22:06:44

Sleep that's really interesting <hides bag of jelly babies>

I know I do get into a sugar/refined carbs cycle every so often and I have to break it by jsut stopping completely for a week, I thn feel awful for a few days and then so much better.

I have never noticed an effect with dairy thou I have recently changed to almond milk but I don't use much milk anyway, I do eat a fair bit of yoghurt and cheese though, cottage cheese in particular.

sleepwhenidie Tue 21-Apr-15 23:22:16

Just something to think about RJ, you could be perfectly fine! Sugar really plays havoc with our hormones though. If you are interested in more info about PCOS/female hormones and diet look into Alissa Vittis TED talk and her book, WomanCode.

RJnomore Tue 21-Apr-15 23:29:50

I will do. I know the sugar has an effect (and the refined carbs as well, which basically convert to sugar in your blood stream don't they)

But I am also a bit of a pig unfortunately.

It's not a great mix.

sleepwhenidie Tue 21-Apr-15 23:37:53

Yy to refined carbs. The PCOS sufferers I know would describe themselves as addicted to sugar, that's debatable of course but they definitely seem more susceptible than others to cravings for more once they have a little.

RJnomore Tue 21-Apr-15 23:41:51

That's how it seems to work! I clean my system out and I am fine for a while, the cravings settle, I eat clean and feel good, then as soon as I have something it's like a spiral of wanting more and more.

I blame it on lack of willpower as well, I'm not strong enough to think ok I will never ever have sugar/refined carbs again.

I've signed up to that alias vitti website and I'll watch the ted talk tomorrow. Thanks.

shewept Wed 22-Apr-15 16:37:16

I have to say I completely agree with sleep on this too. I was a total sugar addict. When i needed sugar, I needed it. Not wanted, actually needed it. That's why a lowish carb helps me out. I have a few food allergies so my carbs are generally sweet potatoes, potatoes and veg. Occasionally some home made bread and the odd protein bar.

I am also quite sensitive to milk too. The odd bit of cows milk, specifically, is ok. But if I have a lot or have it for several days in a row, it makes me ill.

sleepwhenidie Wed 22-Apr-15 16:46:54

I'd try not to think of it as having willpower and 'never' eating something again RJ - psychologically it's setting you up for a never ending cycle of cravings and 'failure' (and self flagellation/guilt etc).

If you can find a more nurturing and kind approach to yourself and body, perhaps as you would for your kids, then you can maintain that awareness of how certain foods make you feel and then give yourself the choice - one day or even an hour at a time, to eat them or not. If you do eat them then make sure you take time to taste and enjoy it (or not - really assess how much enjoyment you get, as opposed to the imagined bliss that manifests itself when something is forbidden wink). Also how you feel afterwards, but without guilt. Sometimes the pleasure is worth it, but most often, once you really stop labelling things in your head as banned, if they make you feel terrible then their appeal lessens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »