Talk

Advanced search

Leaner, Thinner, Stronger

(13 Posts)
sleepyjean69 Tue 14-Apr-15 13:52:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vivacia Tue 14-Apr-15 17:49:08

I haven't read this particular book but would be interested in the general gist of the programme (and eating plan) if you have time.

shewept Tue 14-Apr-15 18:03:52

I haven't read those tbh. I have a pt who perfected my form. But do use the Train Eat Gain bikini guide for my food plan. I got their original plan before my pt. But my form was rubbish so need some help. I still use train eat gains food plan though.

Can you give some information on what it entails?

I have lost 9 stone in 2 years. I love lifting. I weigh a little more than I did, pre baby (I was quit slim then) but am a dress size smaller.

Any help I can give, even if its just so support, let me know.

sleepyjean69 Tue 14-Apr-15 19:51:45

Vivacia Tue 14-Apr-15 20:22:16

I'm very grateful for how much you went on smile

I'm guessing it's not compound moves then? I sometimes wonder if I should split my workouts, but I love how I feel and look, so why change if ain't broke.

suzannecanthecan Tue 14-Apr-15 21:00:50

Day 1 - Chest & Calves
Day 2 - Back & Butt & Abs
Day 3 - Shoulders and Calves
Day 4 - Arms & Abs
Day 5 - Legs and Butt

really is that what he suggests for a beginner?
I strongly disagree!

that looks like a mangled version of an advanced bodybuilder programe.

I would suggest a whole body workout 3 times per week for a couple of months then perhaps switch to upper body/lower body.

I dont much like that split and a five day split is completely inappropriate (IMO)

sleepyjean69 Tue 14-Apr-15 21:54:04

suzannecanthecan Tue 14-Apr-15 22:05:49

you wont injure yourself, it's just that compound movements are a more effective way to get the job done.
Yes you'd be training 3-5 times per week but dividing your body up into so many parts and only hitting each once a week tends not to be so effective, at least not to start with

Compound movements are multi joint exercises such as squats, lunges press ups.

Can you give some idea of what exercises he recommends, I'm sure we can tweak it a bit and come up with a program that you can work with smile

suzannecanthecan Tue 14-Apr-15 22:13:09

Im always a bit dubious of any strength training things that are marketed to women
if you want to be strong train like a man

IronMaggie Tue 14-Apr-15 23:03:23

I like Mike Matthews' stuff, and I bought that one on my kindle a while ago. He talks sense! However I don't care much for super specific splits, as I just don't have time, or a consistent enough routine to worry about hitting different body parts on different days. I can definitely see how it would work well for some people though. I'm generally quite minimal & ad hoc, training wise.

Do you have someone to check your form with? I know some people post videos to be critiqued. There's a trainer at my gym that I booked a couple of one-off sessions with when I first started training until I was confident doing things like deadlifts without hurting myself.

Vivacia Wed 15-Apr-15 06:30:46

OP if I were you I'd give Stronglifts 5x5 a look. It's freely available on a website rather than book and I think it's a great start for beginners like us smile

EarSlaps Wed 15-Apr-15 12:18:55

5 weights workouts a week! shock

I like the NROL idea of 3 a week, much more achievable and it eases you in gently.

I'm only on stage one at the moment but once I'm finished with the plans I was thinking of making up a routine based on strong lifts but with some tweaks (I don't get the strong lifts hatred of dumbbells for example). Plus I worry just doing strong lifts could get dull.

Looking forward to getting some great ideas on this topic though!

I do like Michael Matthews though- I have a couple of his books I got free on kindle and he speaks a lot of sense.

sleepyjean69 Fri 17-Apr-15 19:20:08

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »