Talk

Advanced search

Suzanne, Agressive, Sleep, anyone else...I need a weightlifting plan please!

(12 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

loveableshoulder Fri 10-Apr-15 18:06:59

Thanks to anyone who can help me

I'm a runner, mainly 10 milers and half marathons. 3-4 runs a week. I also do aerial silks. I'd love to be stronger but have no idea where to begin. I've looked at lift like a girl, still no idea.

I don't want to compromise on the running and have limited time in the week. I'm carrying about half a stone more than I'd like but want to concentrate on positive outcomes such as being stronger.

So, I have access to a small gym. Planning half-hour sessions. Can do Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays ideally, though could do one more short session if recommended.

I've been doing Pilates once a week for a year too. My goals are to strengthen in general, with some attention on core, to be strong for silks.

I'm keen on free weights and body-weight stuff like press ups.

I would be so grateful if someone could give me some advice: where to begin, how to improve. Sorry if you are well known here for weights and I didn't mention you - just went with who I can remember from other threads.

Is there anyone who would be happy to mentor me for a while, please? I'm keen to begin on Monday. smile

suzannecallmestan Fri 10-Apr-15 19:43:13

Hi Loveable smile
I'd suggest a basic whole body program to start with, then maybe in a few months or so divide into upper body and lower body.

For max time efficiency stick to compound movements, 3 or 4 sets using a resistance that you can manage for 8-12 reps.

3 x a week should be fine, although half an hour is shortish, you could just stick with something along the lines of
1-squat/leg press/ lunge
2-bench press/press up/chest press
3-overhead press
4-pull down/pull up/row

maybe add in a bit of calf and hamstring work?

I'm thinking that aerial silks is a form of strength training and you just need a bit of extra strength to get you to the level where you can properly do it?
(I've no idea exactly what it entails, I think Sleep does it so she will be best placed to advise)

suzannecallmestan Fri 10-Apr-15 19:49:46

wrt compromising on the running, strength training should help up to a point, but my experience is that weights and cardio if you are doing quite a lot, can put quite a heavy load on you.
I guess you'll have a good feel for how much exercise you can do before you start to feel too wiped out.
even so, dont underestimate how much 'life in general' takes out of you!

sleepwhenidie Mon 13-Apr-15 18:13:49

Hi loveable, sorry, only just saw your post smile. Suzanne is a very knowledgable resource for weight training, I often turn to her myself smile. It depends on what you feel you'd enjoy but if it is strength gains for aerial silks I think that a TRX routine may be your best bet, I love free weights and heavy weights but the TRX is hard to beat for developing core strength and you can build upper body at the same time (plank/pike slides, side planks with dips and twists and plank push ups for example). For silks you need essentially to get better at pulling up and crunching, core and obliques v important, along with lats and arms, all of which you can address efficiently with TRX. If you do go for weights then point 4 of Suzanne's suggestions v important, any lower body stuff should be more tailored for your running. I'd also suggest adding in yoga to counter the negative effect of running (shortening muscles and tightening hips) and to improve your flexibility which will make your AS prettier smile

sleepwhenidie Mon 13-Apr-15 18:19:29

Btw a trx is about £150 (make sure you get door anchor) if you want one for home/travel - the other possibly worthwhile investment on that front would be a pull up bar for door frame, for pull ups (obvs!), but also core work such as leg lifts and hanging crunches...

Vivacia Mon 13-Apr-15 18:23:43

When I started I looked at New Rules of Lifting For Women (a book), Strong Curves (another book, didn't stick with this) and Stronglifts 5x5 (a website).

I am hooked on compound moves with a barbell smile

Whatever you do, I think you'll soon be wanting a rest day between each lifting session.

Vivacia Mon 13-Apr-15 18:26:04

Reread your post, you may be interested in "Convict Conditioning" or "You are your own gym" which look in to body weight workouts.

suzannecanthecan Mon 13-Apr-15 21:33:23

Kind of you to say Sleep smile
guess I'm a bit of an old hand but I think beyond a few basic principles it's a matter of trail and error to figure out what works for the individual.
A few outliers build strength easily where average Joannes like me spend years trying to get anywhereconfused

But anyway, where is the op....

OoompaLooompa Tue 14-Apr-15 14:01:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-Apr-15 16:53:46

Hi all, we're moving this thread over to the new topic now. smile

Here, for anyone that needs a link, is The weights room

See you there!

Wobblystraddle Mon 01-Jun-15 05:49:39

Argh! This is me in previous nn, lost the thread and only just found it! Thanks for everyone who has contributed, needless to say I've not done much yet but the plan is to start this week smile

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 13-Jun-15 17:20:22

Just popping in to recommend the brilliant Nike Training Club Ap. I used it a LOT when I started lifting. It has a series of different (and fun) workouts that it takes you through and can even set to music from your iPhone. It's a really good starting out point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now