Talk

Advanced search

I saw a phantom aircraft

(8 Posts)
susiella Sun 10-Mar-19 19:31:02

Last Tuesday morning I was driving to work. I live in rural Nottinghamshire & the first part of my journey is along single track roads bordered on both sides by fields. It was about 7.10am. A lovely, sunny day, Clear & bright. I could hear the the birds singing. I glanced up & in the sky in front of me I saw an aircraft. I don't know which type it was, it was green & looked like a WW/1/WW2 plane. It flew very low across my path. It was so low I could see the pilot's face. He had one of those little leather hats on, pilots used to wear (might still do, I don't know). But, here's the thing, it was completely silent!
If it had been someone flying a plane practising for an airshow etc surely I would have been able to hear it's engine? An old plane would have been really noisy, especially being flown so low. I don't think planes are allowed to fly that low nowadays either.

DobbyTheHouseElk Sun 10-Mar-19 19:32:11

Wow!

FuckItFriday Sun 10-Mar-19 19:32:51

Oooh!

AliceAforethought Tue 12-Mar-19 00:16:05

I’m not at all woo (not sure why I’m here) but in the last week, I have seen both a Spitfire and a bi-plane flying over where I live (rural Wales). Was so weird both times. Neither were quite as low as the one you described, OP, but like you I heard no engine sounds.
They both looked so out of place, too.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 12-Mar-19 15:49:08

Many years ago when driving home I saw a very low military plane. No noise. But so so low. It must have been almost touching the hedges. I thought it’s about to crash, so went down a lane where I’d be able to have clear visibility of the fields. Nothing. It vanished.

nowshesaturtle Tue 12-Mar-19 15:52:08

I saw one too, about 25 years ago now, when I was driving somewhere rural in Wales. Can't remember where now, I was on my way somewhere for work but it came low over the care from behind me, so the first I know if it was when it appeared in my windscreen. Very, very low, n o sound at all, seemed very peaceful. I definitely thought it was a WW2 plane.

nowshesaturtle Tue 12-Mar-19 15:52:27

Over the car, not over the care hmm

concernedforthefuture Tue 12-Mar-19 16:13:04

Oh gosh. This happened to me once and I convinced myself I must have dreamt it. I was sat on the bus, heading across the moor. It was very misty / foggy. Out of nowhere a grey old WWII plane flew past slowly, very low and silently. I was amazed that it would be flying in such poor visibility and was convinced it would crash... but when we turned a corner, there was nothing there and I couldn't see where it would've gone. I later learned there used to be an airfield nearby in the war. Very spooky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »