Talk

Advanced search

Weird things going on in my house, lights on etc..

(9 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Mon 15-Oct-18 08:01:10

Now it’s quite likely there’s an explentation but over the past few weeks/months I keep coming home and finding lights on when I have turned them all off before leaving, last night I turned all the lights off and went to bed, woke at 4am and came down to get a drink and the living room light was on (just thought, maybe I forgot to turn it off but pretty sure I didn’t), then this morning I got up in a panic realising it’s bin day and I hadn’t put the rubbish out, went outside and the rubbish had been put out, assumed it was my neighbour as sometimes he leaves for work early in the morning (he’s the only one who can see my bins) but no, neighbour still at home. It is possible that he still put my bin out but would seem a bit odd as he has never bothered before.

The light thing is freaking me out more than anything. I’m not so worried about it being a spirit/ghoast, more worried that someone might be getting into my house, my back door is broken and doesn’t lock but to get in you would have to get through the back gate which is bolted from the inside (though not impossible it’s tricky).

I’m sure it’s probably nothing to worry about, probably over thinking things. I was in a bad relationship 18 months ago which ended up with my having an injunction on him for a year (now run out) so I guess I worry about him seeking revenge.

musicalxo Mon 15-Oct-18 08:12:39

That's scary. Any way you can fix the back door lock asap??

Lovemusic33 Mon 15-Oct-18 09:41:52

I'm in a council property, I keep calling them out to fix the door but they just wd40 it and then leave (within 24 hours it won't lock again), it's an expensive door so I can't afford to replace it myself.

I live in a quiet area in a village, my garden backs on to a drive of a big posh house so there's no real access to the garden other than my gate (which is bloated from inside). Hopefully it's just me being paranoid but it has happened so many times now it just seems odd.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 15-Oct-18 10:22:39

It would seem an odd thing for an ex to do - put the lights on and take your bins out - is it possible you're doing these things yourself in a sort of sleep walking trance?

Lovemusic33 Mon 15-Oct-18 13:25:59

I deffently didn't put the bins out, totally forgot (I usually do remember but yesterday I didn't go out of the house at all). It's likely it was a neighbour.
The lights thing is a bit weird, I'm a bit OCD about turning everything off when I leave or when I go to bed.

Bridgeofpies Thu 25-Oct-18 09:00:43

Ooh that does sound weird! I think most likely explanation is that you have done it yourself when sleeping as per pp suggestion.

BUT can you wedge something under the back door handle so it can’t open when you are out or asleep?

Hezz Thu 25-Oct-18 09:14:19

Can you put a bit of paper over the back door so you would know for sure if someone is coming in?

I think it's highly unlikely tbh, going to all that effort to break in just to turn a light on.

ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 29-Oct-18 01:52:19

Buy a cheap bolt or security chain and put it on the inside of the back door until the council fix your lock properly.

Security chain less than £5

I would be inclined to think that someone was coming in to the house when I was asleep and that would freak me out.

Jenb82 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:02:16

Sooooo weird thing has happened?! made up crib for new baby (39+3 not arrived yet) it’s a Stokke mini, put mattress protector on and sheet and left it all in nursery. This morning I went in there and the sheet and mattress protector are soaking???!!!!! And little damp patch on carpet? Freaking out! Have removed them obviously and put straight in the wash but did give them a sniff as wanted to rule out DH it DS making a wrong turn in the night and mistaking crib for toilet! No obvious smell though?? Soooo confused! Thoughts?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: