Talk

Advanced search

TV was on...

(16 Posts)
Chimichangaz Thu 14-Dec-17 22:31:37

I'm seriously freaked out, probably over nothing. My bedroom is above the living room, directly where the tv is. I'd come up to bed tonight, having switched everything off downstairs and set the alarm. My 16yo ds was in his bedroom. I put my bedroom tv on while I got ready for bed having already been in to say goodnight to ds and remind him to brush his teeth. I got into bed with my laptop and heard ds brush his teeth. I was then distracted by an amazon order gone wrong angryand when I switched off the laptop I became aware of the tv on downstairs. I was reading but it was so loud I texted ds to turn it down. He said he was in bed...I realised I hadn't heard him turn the alarm off (which he'd have to have done to be watching tv) so I went down, turned the alarm off and opened the living room door to find it all in darkness with the tv off.

First time anything weird has happened in this house - been here 5.5 years. Previous house had some kind of spooky activity at times (footsteps upstairs and no one there, someone sat next to me on a sofa but there was no one there).

Please tell me there's a logical explanation for the tv as I am actually scared....

Nyx1 Thu 14-Dec-17 22:39:23

Was the TV off at the wall? If not, could something be triggering the remote?

Was your computer fully off because even after we all complained, I still have the ruddy Star Wars ad on here that suddenly booms with sound!

Kidsarekarma Thu 14-Dec-17 22:41:41

Smart TVs occasionally turn themselves on after an update.

MarklahMarklah Thu 14-Dec-17 22:42:30

Not quite the same but years ago I used to have an old stereo (radio set & record player combo) and it would sometimes pick up radio signals from the local taxi rank.

Chimichangaz Thu 14-Dec-17 22:54:13

Thanks all. No, tv still on at the wall. I think the remotes were next to the tv in a basket (or still on the sofa) but nothing would have triggered them. Not the laptop either, definitely the tv from downstairs. And I did wonder if it had turned itself on but then it was off when I got downstairs. I think I could still hear it on when I was coming downstairs but as soon as I got to the bottom and turned the alarm off it went silent.

Vitalogy Thu 14-Dec-17 22:55:15

I noticed the smart tv remotes can change channels from a completely different room, through walls, is your bedroom tv a smart one with the same remote control at all?

Vitalogy Thu 14-Dec-17 22:59:09

Could it have been the neighbours tv turned up really loud?
Also the alarm may have set it off somehow.

When I go to bed I turn the tv switch off at the wall, was you off at the wall switch?

BubbaLips Thu 14-Dec-17 23:07:22

Chimichangaz Fri 15-Dec-17 06:07:44

Bedroom tv is Samsung, downstairs is LG. Never happened before. Also, I'm an end terrace and tv at 'empty' end with a living room, hall and garage between me and neighbour. Still unsettled by the whole thing.

SallyOMalley Fri 15-Dec-17 06:23:52

Our smart TV did that for a while - would turn on momentarily, even in the middle of the night. As someone upthread said, it's to do with software updates or if there is a problem 'talking' to another piece of equipment not is connected to. In our case it couldn't 'talk' to the BT You view box. We sorted it and it stopped.

60percentofthetime Fri 15-Dec-17 06:39:53

Ours turned itself on and off for a while. Coincided with when DS1 was born and I thought I was going mad with sleep deprivation. Don't get freaked out by it, like people have said, it's just tv/skyboxes etc trying to talk to each other.

Optimist1 Fri 15-Dec-17 07:07:55

Was the loud TV actually a sound effect on the programme that your bedroom TV was showing? I've leapt up to answer the doorbell on many an occasion when it's actually a doorbell on the radio/TV!

ShowOfHands Fri 15-Dec-17 07:17:17

We had a kettle which turned on randomly. It was an electrical fault. I've also looked after a friend's house and a smart tv in the house has randomly switched on and the owner explained it perfectly rationally. Something to do with programming or updates or something.

It won't be ghosts.

Nyx1 Fri 15-Dec-17 10:29:43

OP is it a smart TV?

Chimichangaz Fri 15-Dec-17 12:33:21

Thanks everyone for the reassuring messages thanks

I'm feeling better now, as I agree it's probably just randomly turned itself on. Yes it is a smart tv, and no it wasn't a noise from my bedroom tv as that was off but I really do appreciate you all chipping in!

Feeling a bit like a wuss now...

TillyMint81 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:46:50

Late to this but one night when our daughters were supposed to be settling to sleep our smart tv suddenly turned over to the Winnie the Pooh film! Turns out our youngest had been messing on her iPad and managed to accidentally stream it through the tv!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: